• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Planted discus aquarium

dhavalsp

Members
image.jpgJust wanted to share my new 56 tall setup. I m a rookie when it comes to planted tanks but playing safe with Val and anubias. My discus are loving all the hiding places and extra space...

image.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I like the clean look of your tank. You might consider using super glue or thread to attach some moss to the pvc cave to help it blend in.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dhavalsp

Members
Thanks!

That's a good idea.. I am a little worried about using super glue or any other adhesive... Is there a specific type I should be using or it does not matter..

Jt731

Members
Silicone with no additives or hot glue

(I've seen pvc covered with substrate, looks pretty cool)

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Silicone with no additives or hot glue

(I've seen pvc covered with substrate, looks pretty cool)

Normal superglue (not the gel) works for moss strands. You'll need something stronger like silicone for gravel to hold.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dhavalsp

Members
Thank you all...

I am going to give it a little thought over the week as to what to do for that pleco cave. For now the main priority is finding the right temperature for discus and plants ... Plants are not handling 84 F that well...

Those discus are a mix between red turq and tefe... The combination turned out pretty well, the colors keep developing every month.. Roughly 9 months old...

Jt731

Members
Depending on how the plants were grown (tissue cultured or not in water versus submerged), you may be getting some normal leaf loss due to plants needing to adjust

dhavalsp

Members
They were in someone's aquarium ... So they were submerged. I suppose these plants are use to 76 and I had them at 86 for a week when I introduced discus in the tank. The idea is to lower temperature every week to get it to 82 ( in the past I have noticed that higher temp make transitions easier for discus).

Lot of new leaves are growing the old ones have basically melted. I just hope the new leaves don't start melting. I have a feeling that they won't. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Dhaval

ragin_cajun

I"ve seen a gel for gluing corals in reef tanks at my LFS. That'd be safe to glue plants to your cave, too. It's more expensive than super glue. But it's thick, kinda like gel, which super glue is not.

I HATE gluing plants with super glue because it's so thin. I get more on my fingers than the plant/driftwood, plants don't stick right.