• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pea Gravel

With all the tanks I got from Ron (Thanks Ron), substrate is now posing itself as a big problem. I was considering using a mix of African Cichlid Mix Congo River 5lb (Carib Sea)

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/BL...2/Itemdy00.aspx

and Pea gravel in a ratio of about 1lbs. Congo to 2 lbs Pea gravel.

Somewhere in my head I seem to remember someone saying something bad about what Pea gravel can do to fish or water (if it raises the pH I could care less), but I can't remember what it was.

Anyone have any input?

craby

Members
I believe pea gravel is typically used for soft water discus tanks & tropical planted tanks w/ lower PH parameters. Does that ring a bell?

What kind of fish are you keeping?

That would be good, since they tend to use stuff that won't harm water quality. as long as it does not lower the ph itself I should be fine. The post I saw was something to do with silica being in the pea gravel, but I don't know if this can harm fish.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I have used pea gravel and it is OK. If you get a bit of something that dissolves it won't hurt Africans. More minerals is good. Pea gravel is the way to go.

George