• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Oscar is sick and I need help

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
Oscar has a issue with his eye. ..Not sure what's going on ....Treating with melafix .....Any advice ....Does this look like a battle I can win ?

IMG_20190109_154453.jpg

IMG_20190109_154459.jpg

Becca

Members
Rachel O'Leary just did a you-tube series on treating her Oscar (Captain Cranky Pants).

If I were you, I'd be giving oral antibiotics of some sort, but I'm not really sure how to dose a fish. I know that Seachem makes some powders that can be mixed in with food and administered (they also make a product called Focus that supposedly helps bind meds to food).

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
Rachel O'Leary just did a you-tube series on treating her Oscar (Captain Cranky Pants).

If I were you, I'd be giving oral antibiotics of some sort, but I'm not really sure how to dose a fish. I know that Seachem makes some powders that can be mixed in with food and administered (they also make a product called Focus that supposedly helps bind meds to food).
Never gave antibiotics before. ... Where do you shop for them .

Becca

Members
Never gave antibiotics before. ... Where do you shop for them .

I buy them online because it's damn-near impossible to get them in stores. "Big Box" stores won't carry them due to regulations. The guy at Aquatic Creations on 355 in Urbana/Hyattstown might have something and he's just generally a good resource. There's also Tropical Lagoon and Congressional.

That could be an injury, rather than infection, but injuries can get infected. The eye doesn't look cloudy or particularly swollen on the outside (at least from what the photos show). I swear someone posted a resource for finding fish vets on the forum a few days ago, but I can't remember where it was.

JLW

CCA Members
While its hard to see in that picture for sure, I see two things going on. First, the eye has been significantly damaged. Its a shame, because that's a beautiful Oscar and he's darn near perfect otherwise. The eye is also cloudy, which may be a sign of infection, but probably is more the result of the damage.

I would not treat with antibiotics at this point. In all likelihood, they'll do nothing, but may significantly impact your biological filter, as well as all the usual reasons not to treat unnecessarily with antibiotics. I would remove him, if he's easy to catch, to a quarantine tank for a while, though, until that eye starts to heal. Melafix is fine, though I don't personally think it does anything more than adding a bottle of water to the tank would.

I don't think he's going to keep that eye, though. It may completely cloud over and he'll lose vision in it, or he might just lose the eye. :(

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
While its hard to see in that picture for sure, I see two things going on. First, the eye has been significantly damaged. Its a shame, because that's a beautiful Oscar and he's darn near perfect otherwise. The eye is also cloudy, which may be a sign of infection, but probably is more the result of the damage.

I would not treat with antibiotics at this point. In all likelihood, they'll do nothing, but may significantly impact your biological filter, as well as all the usual reasons not to treat unnecessarily with antibiotics. I would remove him, if he's easy to catch, to a quarantine tank for a while, though, until that eye starts to heal. Melafix is fine, though I don't personally think it does anything more than adding a bottle of water to the tank would.

I don't think he's going to keep that eye, though. It may completely cloud over and he'll lose vision in it, or he might just lose the eye. :(
Sucks.....