• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Only 2 small tanks right now

Zepp914

CCA Members
Hey all,

I found this forum when I was looking for fish related websites in Maryland. I have been lurking for awhile and needed to make an account so I can view the pictures of your lovely aquariums.

Originally I just had a tank set up with a Betta and a few plants. Recently I cycled another 10G tank that I had lying around after our 13 year old heteroscodra maculate tarantula died and added some Danios. My wife calls me and lets me know that someone she knows has to find a home for their goldfish ASAP. I asked how big the fish was and they said 2 inches. No idea how old it is. I realized that most fancy goldfish get to be 6 to 8 inches and wouldn't be able to stay in a 10G tank for long. I figured at 2 inches, it wasn't going to be big enough to eat the Danios. We were planning on getting a larger tank during Black Friday anyway, so my wife took the fish.

The fish arrives and it is a 4 inch Shubunkin. These fish get so big that the tank we were planning on won't be enough. So I figure we will keep him until Spring and find someone with a Koi pond that wants him. Right now he is in the 10G tank and he gets along with the Danios. Who doesn't love Danios? I have a 50G filter on that tank and am doing frequent water changes to keep everyone happy. I am just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Eventually I'd like to start a planted tank with some dwarf cichlids.

Current pets:
2 Chinchillas
1 avicularia versicolor tarantula
and the fish mentioned above

My other main hobby is geocaching.

Thanks for maintaining such a nice forum.
-Mike

FishEggs

Thanks for joining us and welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear about your many legged friend passing on. I don't know how long they can live but it seems like a good long life for an arachnid.
Hope to see you at one of our monthly meetings soon.
~Matt

rsanz

monster tank newbie
Hi there, Mike. Welcome! You should come check out the next meeting and get down with the sickness of extreme fish keeping! :p

We'll have you measuring your house for a monster tank in no time. :D

Zepp914

CCA Members
Hi there, Mike. Welcome! You should come check out the next meeting and get down with the sickness of extreme fish keeping! :p

We'll have you measuring your house for a monster tank in no time. :D

I live in a townhouse, so 75G is about the max I can do. I am hoping to get one next month, but we will see.

zendog

Hmmm... someone just listed a nice 100 gallon acrylic tank with a 60x18 footprint... just one foot longer.

Welcome to the forum. The club meetings are open to members and non-members (and there are snacks!), plus members bring some fish, plants, equipment for an auction at the end. There are great deals to be had and you'll be able to fill your new acrylic tank with cool stuff in no time!

chriscoli

Administrator
Welcome to the forum! We have a few koi keepers on here occasionally, I'm sure they can help you out with advice on overwintering/rehoming the rescue.

Zepp914

CCA Members
Hmmm... someone just listed a nice 100 gallon acrylic tank with a 60x18 footprint... just one foot longer.

Welcome to the forum. The club meetings are open to members and non-members (and there are snacks!), plus members bring some fish, plants, equipment for an auction at the end. There are great deals to be had and you'll be able to fill your new acrylic tank with cool stuff in no time!

Unfortunately, I have only 52" of wall space to work with making a 48" my max width. I have seen some really tall tanks that are 48" wide and 31" high. I think would be a pain to clean the bottom out of. I am sticking with 75g if I get a good deal or 55g if its a really really good deal.

The website says the next meeting is Feb 13th at 2PM. That is a Monday, so I am looking in the wrong place.

Welcome to the forum! We have a few koi keepers on here occasionally, I'm sure they can help you out with advice on overwintering/rehoming the rescue.

Cool! Thanks!

zendog

I'm pretty sure the next meeting is November 12th, although I didn't see anything yet on who the speaker would be or topic. It is usually on the second Saturday of the month and is basically monthly. There are a few exceptions because of special events like a summer barbecue, a holiday event and then the infamous Big Fish Deal the first weekend in March.