• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

October Meeting?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thanks Mike. How are your Discus doing?
Discus are doing good. Most of the ones I got from Discus R Us got large and have been healthy, I have another medium sized one from a club member doing well, and I recently got some small homegrown juvies through the Keystone Clash auction. I'm planning to pick up a few more from Hans and eventually combine everyone, but so far I'm happy with the progress.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
Discus are doing good. Most of the ones I got from Discus R Us got large and have been healthy, I have another medium sized one from a club member doing well, and I recently got some small homegrown juvies through the Keystone Clash auction. I'm planning to pick up a few more from Hans and eventually combine everyone, but so far I'm happy with the progress.
I love Discus but Im afraid I might kill them with temperature fluctuation when doing the massive water changes I tend to do.:(

Becca

Members
We do a lot of massive water changes on Discus. If you get the temperature close, you'll probably be OK.

I've taken over the Discus care for the time being... They did well for us for a while, but I think I've tied their recent decline to their actual owner forgetting to feed them often enough... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

We're going to have to go out to Hans and get some more at some point, too.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I love Discus but Im afraid I might kill them with temperature fluctuation when doing the massive water changes I tend to do.:(
I now use an infrared temperature gun when doing water changes. It was only $20, and I can measure both the temp of the tank water, and the temp of the water being added to make sure they're close. I usually used the hand on faucet method to gauge temp, but realized that wasn't accurate and sometimes led to problems. I do large water changes on my discus tanks, and a few other heated tanks, but rarely have a problem anymore. They're also pretty forgiving, I've seen the temp drop almost 10 degrees, and the fish weren't happy, but never got sick.