• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

OB Cichlid's ............

I've been thinking very seriously about going on a collecting trip. I have seen some videos lately of Lake Malawi and divers filming their dive. One trip I noticed that there looked like OB's swimming in the wild, several of them. Some where yellow/black white /black and others. I thought from what I read that these fish were derived from breeders or hobbyist? I know there is a strong debate over these Cichlid's but that's to each his or her's own opinion. Back to the trip I would like to take I would like to collect a few wild strains of peacocks for my own tank and take a nice vacation, it looks awesome down there. The video I watched was titled Maingano Island Lake Malawi African Cichlid's.

Hicgup

Members
OB cichlids in Lake Malawi are a natural/wild genetic variation. Most mutations that appear in aquariums do not exist (for long) in wild populations because they make the fish more vulnerable to predation. OB does not appear to be such a detriment to several rift lake cichlids.
Diving in the rift lakes would be an awesome diving experience!

stany

CCA Members
As I understand there is a plethora of hoops to jump through to collect fish from any rift lake in Africa. I think the easy part is getting there. The hard part is being allowed to catch and bringing the fish back. There are people who do this and maybe you can join an expedition. Don't think anyone here has done this. May want to check the national group.

lock jaw

CCA Members
I think obs are awesome. Finally, found some nice ones for my tank. Waiting for them to grow up.

stany

CCA Members
You have every right to house what you like. If you like them then keep them. I am looking for dependable behavior and think it's more hit or miss with OB's than species that appear in nature. Just my opinion. I do think they are interesting and I think Oscars are interesting. But won't be putting Oscar's in my tank anytime soon.

Hicgup

Members
I LOVE Oscars! Always have a place for them (but not in my Malawi biotope). OB's are not a species, but a variation of many species that (as the thread goes) DO occur naturally in the lake. Yes, it is alaways a good idea to keep fish you like, as opposed to fish you hate, or fish that your neighbor likes, or hates. But back to Oscars, I once had two female Oscars that paired up and laid eggs together twice. I now have two Red Eagle discus females that lay eggs together twice a month, despite other males of different varieties being in the same tank. Do the Red Eagles continue to bond because they are the same general color versus the proven snakeskin male? Are OB African cichlids more or less attractive as a mate, to another OB of the opposite sex?

stany

CCA Members
I think if I wanted to start over or start a new tank i would try Discus. What little I know they need super clean water and different water parameters than cichlids. I know nothing about breeding them or OB's for that matter. Can't help you with your questions.

Hicgup

Members
Stany, if you ever decide to try discus and are going to be in the Va. Beach area pm me. If I am still breeding discus and have young ones i’d be happy to give you a six pack to work with for starters. True, they are less forgiving than most all other cichlids (discus being cichlids from the Amazon), but the captive bred ones are much more forgiving than wild caught fish. My Stendker pair breeds at 78 F, lays fertile eggs in water with tds of 150 to 250, the babies have been growing fantastic on flake food with what most every hobbyist would consider normal water changes.

stany

CCA Members
I get to VA Beach once a year in February. I have a friend from PA that rents a house on the beach for two months. I go down with other golf buddies from PA for a weekend to play golf.Don't think I'd have a tank ready by then. As I understand I should have something taller than my 40 long.