• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Noisy Pumps

animicrazy

Members
Bought a cheap $$ LP pump by Coral Life; the only thing that might pollute more the noise environment in my tanks is an F-14. Any suggestions on how to muffle the output air so the fish can have some peace and quiet?? Of course this begs a stupid question: Do fish have "ears" and even care??

Thanks Paul.

mscichlid

Founder
If it is a linear pump and you bought it used, then the diaphram may need to be replaced. If it is not a linear pump...I don't what to tell you. Sorry.

FB

maddog10

Members
Linear pumps are supposed to be quiet. I have 2 that I bought from Jehmco, in my fishroom you hear the bubbles not the pumps.

Robert (Artee) is selling 2 linear pumps in the trader section.

animicrazy

Members
If it is a linear pump and you bought it used, then the diaphram may need to be replaced. If it is not a linear pump...I don't what to tell you. Sorry.

FB[/b]

Yes, LP = linear piston. It's a new pump. The issue isn't the noise in the room; the issue is the noise generated by the output air that gets transfered into the tank environment. If you place your ear against the side of your tank you will hear what I'm talking about. I'm told that regen blowers have the same issue. I've built a muffler but the glue has to dry before I can test.

Thanks, Paul.

mscichlid

Founder
Linear pumps ususally require a looped system of pvc with outlets. Did you do that? You wouldn't require a muffler. If you don't enough tanks, you simply have a bleed line for the extra air to quietly disperse into the room.

FB

cyradis4

Members
What is "looped"? I've heard that terminology in fish people, but no where else, and I'm not sure what it is.

Amanda.

maddog10

Members
The pipe you use for your air supply is continuous with no dead ends. By looping the pipe it equalizes the pressure in the whole pipe. If it was dead end, there would be less pressure available at the end of the run.

animicrazy

Members
The pipe you use for your air supply is continuous with no dead ends. By looping the pipe it equalizes the pressure in the whole pipe. If it was dead end, there would be less pressure available at the end of the run.[/b]

Thanks - there's nothing like knowledge. Built the loop w 1" pvc & a straight in half inch vinyl supply line from the pump; have 50 brass valves on the main pipe; hooked it up last night and the results were amazing! The pump itself got a little quieter (not really the issue) and the tanks no longer had pump noise- only the soothing sound of air bubbles; AND, adjusting or adding air devices seemed to have no effect on previously installed devices.

Thanks to all.
Paul.