• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Owner Please Help

Chickers

This is my fish. If someone can help me identify the gender and the specific type of fish it would be greatly appreciated. From my understanding it's a Mbuna but I wanted to know the specific type. I have had it for over a year and a half and currently it is the only fish in the tank. (S)He is currently in a 5.5 gallon tank but I do water changes at least once a week, always check the Ph balance, and alternate the type of food I give him/her. I am going to be upgrading it to a 30 gallon but I am in the process of having the tank get settled before I make the transfer. So while that is getting set up I would like to purchase either more tank mates or more decorations but I was wondering if you have any suggestions on what I should get. I am new to the fish world so I would appreciate any and all help I can get. Thank you!

Screenshot_20191006-222254.png

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Looks like an elongatus type, but not definite. I wouldn't recommend adding anything with him while in the 5.5, it could be a tough trial even after upgrading to a 30.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Mbunas are known to kill their tank mates particularly if they are other mbunas, unless they are more hiding places than there are fish in the tank. You do not want caves as the weaker fish cannot escape from a cave. You want tunnels so there is an escape route out the other side. Thes tunnels can be made of rocks or pipes (PVC) or things made for such purposes. On the other hand other species like platys and swords and variatus can live happily in a mbuna tank. And ancistrus plecos or bristle nose fish can also. Some big rocks in the tank can break up line of sight so the dominant fish cannot see fish on the other side of the tank.

I keep colonies (20 to 30 fish of all sizes) of mbunas in 30 gallon tanks with the bottom of the tank covered in 1 to 2 inch diameter white PVC pipe sections that are each about 6 to 10 inches in length. It does not look pretty but they do not kill each other. They disappear into the pipes when I walk by but coe out when I feed them or if I am on the other side of the room. Black PVC floats unfortunately. But you can spray paint white PVC black.

Becca

Members
Mbunas are known to kill their tank mates particularly if they are other mbunas, unless they are more hiding places than there are fish in the tank. You do not want caves as the weaker fish cannot escape from a cave. You want tunnels so there is an escape route out the other side. Thes tunnels can be made of rocks or pipes (PVC) or things made for such purposes. On the other hand other species like platys and swords and variatus can live happily in a mbuna tank. And ancistrus plecos or bristle nose fish can also. Some big rocks in the tank can break up line of sight so the dominant fish cannot see fish on the other side of the tank.

I keep colonies (20 to 30 fish of all sizes) of mbunas in 30 gallon tanks with the bottom of the tank covered in 1 to 2 inch diameter white PVC pipe sections that are each about 6 to 10 inches in length. It does not look pretty but they do not kill each other. They disappear into the pipes when I walk by but coe out when I feed them or if I am on the other side of the room. Black PVC floats unfortunately. But you can spray paint white PVC black.

You could use dried bamboo instead of PVC if you want something a little less stark. It's not easy to cut, but holds up for a long time and can be cut into tubes of varying length and size. It would be a good idea to boil the pipes once you've cut them to size and to give them a good soak to try to leech tannins out of them/minimize their impact on water chemistry.

Chickers

You could use dried bamboo instead of PVC if you want something a little less stark. It's not easy to cut, but holds up for a long time and can be cut into tubes of varying length and size. It would be a good idea to boil the pipes once you've cut them to size and to give them a good soak to try to leech tannins out of them/minimize their impact on water chemistry.
That is a wonderful idea! I currently have a bark type set up that has tunnels that my fish currently loves. However I did just notice a dot on it's head. Is this the beginning signs of Hole in head? Or is this normal? Should I be worried?

IMG_20191007_172128.jpg

Screenshot_20191007-172946.png

IMG_20191007_172008.jpg