• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Hobby

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
So I'm a man of many interests. I'm going back to school to become a veterinarian. I am a car guy, a gun guy, a remodeling/diy guy, a guy that cooks, a guy that loves animals in general, a guy that hunts, a guy that fishes, a guy that keeps fish...you get the point. I've recently gotten into something that has my attention more than others right now. Amateur Radio. It is so fun to hop on the bands and talk to people around the country with a mic, radio transmitter, tuner, amplifier, and antenna. In fact, today my father-in-law was speaking to a guy in Guatamala! It's just very interesting to me and I was wondering if any of you have ever tried it or are Hams (amateur radio operators).

chriscoli

Administrator
I used to be one but let my license lapse. It was more something I did to share a hobby with my ex.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I hit 50 contacts today in less than 2 hours. Now I'm cutting tile for a fireplace surround. Anyone else have any interesting hobbies that most people wouldn't even think of? (Other than fish keeping/breeding?)

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Cory, I'm a car guy too. Have a 99 z28 ragtop, 6-speed that's my daily driver (recently replaced all brake lines when they rusted out) and a 72 GMC Sprint (El Camino) that is a lifelong restoration project (replaced both quarter panels, patch panels in front fenders and lower doors, replaced 350 SBC with 402 BBC and associated suspension changes). I go to the gym to do some weightlifting to keep myself from turning into Jaba the Hut! Also a DIY guy around the house, play the guitar and have started a lionel train setup in my basement. I too enjoy cooking (mainly because I love eating - see Jaba the hut comment above), have a 2 year old scottish terrier and 15 year old cat along with my two tanks (45 and 55). Retirement is a wonderful thing. Did I mention I was retired? What cars do you have?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
At 29 years old, I can't say that I've owned anything super spectacular, but I was a salesman and a service advisor for several years. I've got a soft spot for Mopars so I'm into Hemis and 440 6-packs and the like. Dream car fluctuates between a 70-73 Plymouth Barracuda and a late 90's-Early 2000's Dodge Viper. I also wouldn't mind one of the new Hellcats. Anyway, I just like going fast. I've had a 6.2L SRT Dodge Magnum at 156 mph once completely stock, so I know what these cars are capable of. Anyway, very good post. This is the kind of thing I want to see. I want to hear from others on their side hobbies other than fish!

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
my son has a 2003 Dakota RT. He'd love to put a hemi in there if he could. his other car, a 65 Olds Cutlass has a cammed 455, a worked 200-4r trans and 373 gears. That big block sounds wonderful. He got it at 16, and we had alot of father-son bonding (and cursing) as we restored it together over the years. I remember the hemi cuda's of the time and always loved the 440-six pack GTX's, the 340 darts, etc.

FishEggs

I at one point managed an actual hobby store, so yeah, i have lots of other hobbies/interests. I guess the one that i stick with the most though is woodworking. My garage is actually a wood shop. I also restore old tools/machines as part of it. I'm also a car guy. . . . of the R/C variety. Also into trains and i'm amassing a garden scale railroad that will one day be set up outside.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I like to wood work as well. I'm not in a place where I have enough room for a huge shop, but Iike it. I am building a life-sized jenga block set out of 2X4s right now. Should be a fun lawn game when I'm done. R/C cars are cool, too!

YSS

Members
my son has a 2003 Dakota RT. He'd love to put a hemi in there if he could. his other car, a 65 Olds Cutlass has a cammed 455, a worked 200-4r trans and 373 gears. That big block sounds wonderful. He got it at 16, and we had alot of father-son bonding (and cursing) as we restored it together over the years. I remember the hemi cuda's of the time and always loved the 440-six pack GTX's, the 340 darts, etc.

Very cool. My son is turning 16 in a few months and I was thinking it would be very cool to restore a car together for him. But not really being a car guy, have no idea where to start. Just love the idea of working on something together with my son and having him drive a car that he and I worked on it together. Likelyhood of this happening is slim to none, but it would be very cool. Remember this girl driving a 69 red convertible mustang in HS. Loved the car.

YSS

Members
I like to wood work as well. I'm not in a place where I have enough room for a huge shop, but Iike it. I am building a life-sized jenga block set out of 2X4s right now. Should be a fun lawn game when I'm done. R/C cars are cool, too!

Dude, you are into everything. Pretty cool. Definitely not into Pokemon Go, I'm thinking. :)

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Dude, you are into everything. Pretty cool. Definitely not into Pokemon Go, I'm thinking. :)

I am into everything. It's what started this thread. I am a real life jack of all trades. I love a good project. And while I'm not into Pokemon Go, I did play Pokemon for the GameBoy back in the day. I am currently playing Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes on my mobile devices. It passes the time when I am not using power tools or working with my fish/cars/animals. Tomorrow morning I'm cooking brussell sprouts for one of my professors who claims she's never eaten good ones.

As for the car thing, it doesn't even have to be a very old car, just one that you can get parts for. You don't want to be restoring or working on a 94 Buick LeSabre. You could also tell him to hop on craigslist and give him a budget. Let him pick the vehicle to restore. It would give him a way to connect with the project. Just an idea.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool. My son is turning 16 in a few months and I was thinking it would be very cool to restore a car together for him. But not really being a car guy, have no idea where to start. Just love the idea of working on something together with my son and having him drive a car that he and I worked on it together. Likelyhood of this happening is slim to none, but it would be very cool. Remember this girl driving a 69 red convertible mustang in HS. Loved the car.
Did just that with my son when he turned 16. I've been into cars since I started driving (in 1968 - yikes). When discussing a vehicle for him I suggested an Accord or Camry, reliable and easy to repair if needed. His response was Mustang Convertible! My response, that's not a car for a 16 year old boy, that's a coffin! At the time, my son was working in a LFS and the owner was into Oldsmobiles, and indicated that many of the older cars (1960's) had full frames from bumper to bumper. So we looked around and found a guy selling both a 1965 Olds f-85 Cutlass, and a 1972 Cutlass. My son liked the '65 and it's body line was similar to that year's GTO, except with horizonal headlights. It was completely stock with original paint and Oklahoma mud all over the underside.
I advised against it for several reasons. First, it would likely be sitting in front of the house 75% of the time waiting for parts, as this car is quite rare. Second, gas mileage is measured in gallons per mile rather than miles per gallon. But I also felt it's time for a life lesson in decision making, and let him decide. he decided on the '65 and we drove it home. We spent alot of time in the garage working on it, and my first prediction came true, it was forever in the garage. But, we pulled the motor together, and replaced the entire front and rear suspension components together, as well as transmission and rear end. Car broke down a number of times, and I had to go out with my 72 el camino and push his car home several times! Well, long story short, he's 36 now and still has the car, albeit with a 455, 4-speed automatic, 12 bolt chevelle posi rear with 373 gears and a Maaco lacquer paint job. The project taught him about resilience, never give up, etc., etc. and gave me a whole of experience in doing these things (and tools, etc.)

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Tools is right! The proper tool makes a lot of jobs much easier! Great job teaching and spending time with your kid(s)!

iamzrad

Members
That's cool. Is it any good? I've heard horror stories.

I'm on my 5th brew right now (aging a robust and rich stout) and never had any issues. As long as you read and prepare ahead, it's smooth sailing. It also helps that my father is an amateur wine and spirit maker, some of the same processes carry over to beer making. Plus, he lets me borrow his large fermenter tanks :)

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Ah. I see. Having someone who has already done it in some capacity helps. Those that I have heard horror stories from are not great preparers. That probably makes all the difference.