• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need your DIY Aquarium tips~

Klown

Members
Hey everyone,

been a long time since I've been here, and I no longer have tanks, but I need your help on a DIY project. I have purchased 2 large planter boxes that I am looking to waterproof to use as ice chests. They are all wood and have 3 drainage plugs on the bottom. I was thinking of using liquid rubber through out the inside, but there are some smaller gaps where the boards meet. Would silicone work? Would the liquid rubber adhere to the silicone? Any other suggestions? I have to have them done by March 20th.

Thank you!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
What "liquid rubber" are you referring to? Are you filling the drain plugs?

What you could do is line the inside with some 1/4 inch thick plywood or 1/4 thick plastic and then coat it, which would give it a nearly perfect seal. You could also use paint-able caulking in the gaps and then use your "liquid rubber" to coat over it. Something like flex seal or just about any spray on membrane would probably work. Either way, I would probably sand the inside to make sure the rubber membrane sticks properly.

When I did tile jobs, to waterproof, I used all kinds of stuff to fill gaps, spray foam (then mortar over top of the foam), tile mortar, drywall putty, and/or caulking. Then I used several coats of paint-able roll-on waterproof membrane. You can buy the stuff at a hardware store or large box store for $45 a bucket or less. Some you have to mix, some comes ready to apply. Once you put several coats of that stuff on, no water will ever permeate it. Make sure you follow the directions and apply the coats in different directions, as this will give you the best seal. I've never had a tile job fail yet using the stuff. This would likely be overkill, though. But it is an option.

Klown

Members
any liquid rubber I can find. Right now all I can find are things at lowes or home depot. I didn't even think about the paintable caulking. I do not plan on covering up the drain plugs. I will use a pvc threaded fitting that screws into the bottom so that I may drain them latter on. The idea is to coat the inside so that I can place Ice and drinkings in it for parties. As the ice melts, I can drain the water out and then plug it back up.

These planter beds originally had some blue building felt on the inside to help keep the soil in it. I ripped that out and am in the process of cleaning up the wood, and sanding it down to take on the liquid rubber. They were purchased to use at my up coming wedding (back yard bbq theme) and for future parties.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Pond Armor / Pond Shield some HD's carry this or can be ordered to your store.

That would work, too. The trick is getting the surface relatively flat and free of any contaminants. and without gaps. Once that is achieved, you'll be all set to spray, roll, or paint on your waterproofing of choice.