• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

need some help

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck. Some faucets have male inserts (threads are inside faucet head), others female(threads are outside of faucet head).

Eyeguy05

Members
You sure? Didja put a channel lock/vice grip on it? Never seen one that didn't have a removable insert...

yep im sure, i unscrewed the aerator and there was nothing else in there to come out. the threads are inside the faucet but the python adapter is just slightly too large to screw on.

i bought a new faucet last night and confirmed the adapter fits. ill be installing after work today.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
i unscrewed the aerator and there was nothing else in there to come out. the threads are inside the faucet

Exactly - once there are exposed/unused threads all that's left is finding an adapter that uses the same threads on the end that screws into the faucet bridged to whatever you're connecting. You may go ahead and change the faucet but good chance that your local hardware store could set you up if you walk in with the threaded aerator piece that you removed and whatever it is you're seeking to attach. Yes?

Aqua410

Members
Exactly - once there are exposed/unused threads all that's left is finding an adapter that uses the same threads on the end that screws into the faucet bridged to whatever you're connecting. You may go ahead and change the faucet but good chance that your local hardware store could set you up if you walk in with the threaded aerator piece that you removed and whatever it is you're seeking to attach. Yes?

If his sink is like mine then maybe not. The internal threads are not any standard thread type/size that I have seen and even if there are the gap between the aerator threads and the inside of the faucet are so narrow that most adapters I've seen wouldn't fit. For me it's easier just to use the shower and the flow rate blows my bathroom sink away. Also less chance of the tub overflowing if it gets a little backed up.

My preferred place to hook my water changer will always be my utility sink downstairs. Flows like a fire hose and gets a massive siphon rolling but would need a 100' hose to reach the third floor.

YSS

Members

What's up, Sam! What are you up to these days?

Eyeguy05

Members
If his sink is like mine then maybe not. The internal threads are not any standard thread type/size that I have seen and even if there are the gap between the aerator threads and the inside of the faucet are so narrow that most adapters I've seen wouldn't fit. For me it's easier just to use the shower and the flow rate blows my bathroom sink away. Also less chance of the tub overflowing if it gets a little backed up.

My preferred place to hook my water changer will always be my utility sink downstairs. Flows like a fire hose and gets a massive siphon rolling but would need a 100' hose to reach the third floor.

exactly! they were not standard threads. new faucet is on and water change done..

Plenipotentiary-at-large
If his sink is like mine then maybe not. The internal threads are not any standard thread type/size that I have seen and even if there are the gap between the aerator threads and the inside of the faucet are so narrow that most adapters I've seen wouldn't fit.

exactly! they were not standard threads. new faucet is on and water change done..

If an aerator threads in then the right adaptor will. "Standard" in this context is a misnomer as all threads are some sort of "standard" machine thread unless they're hand carved in lower Zimbabwe or some other other such place lacking an export market for hardware. I assembled the adaptor I had in DC for what you're terming a "non-standard" fitting using off the shelf fittings from the local hardware store (True Value at 1623 17th St NW, Washington, DC 20009), and was able to do so because manufacturers worldwide use equipment that is designed to produce a limited number of specific thread sizes that in turn translates into a well-stocked local hardware store being able to fulfill virtually any and every request for any male/female thread size or combination thereof.

You are probably aware that "standard" in this context/country used to mean anything that followed the old British standards for measurement, whereas these days that "standard' has been largely superseded by the global shift to the metric system. Global manufacturing may not be universally harmonized as yet but it's close enough that there is no longer really any such thing as a "non-standard" fitting . Just saying.

Pleased the deed is accomplished, all's well that ends well.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
What's up, Sam! What are you up to these days?

Homestretch for the global HFC phaseout agreement so slumming in Delhi, Vienna, Nairobi, et al. and re-wilding 15 acres in S. Indiana in between. Built a pond this winter in the middle of an acre tall-grass prairie restoration project, cleared too too many acres of invasive species, planted 100s of bare root natives, and preparing to add white peacocks, honeybees, bat houses and Cayuga ducks to the local mix next Spring. Yeah I know white peacocks aren't remotely native (neither are most of the locals) but dang but they look good and perhaps they'll intimidate any foxes and help safeguard the ducks.

Pond has been a hoot. Water striders and water boatmen showed up almost immediately (no idea how they got there so fast or from whence they came), snakes and salamanders as soon as it warmed up, and seems like every frog living within a 1/2 mile defected/migrated in. Currently looking for a cheap solar-powered aeration option (no grid access), something considerably south of the grand that the latest green tech represents - obliged for any ideas/directions.

Long life Friend.

Eyeguy05

Members
If an aerator threads in then the right adaptor will. "Standard" in this context is a misnomer as all threads are some sort of "standard" machine thread unless they're hand carved in lower Zimbabwe or some other other such place lacking an export market for hardware. I assembled the adaptor I had in DC for what you're terming a "non-standard" fitting using off the shelf fittings from the local hardware store (True Value at 1623 17th St NW, Washington, DC 20009), and was able to do so because manufacturers worldwide use equipment that is designed to produce a limited number of specific thread sizes that in turn translates into a well-stocked local hardware store being able to fulfill virtually any and every request for any male/female thread size or combination thereof.

You are probably aware that "standard" in this context/country used to mean anything that followed the old British standards for measurement, whereas these days that "standard' has been largely superseded by the global shift to the metric system. Global manufacturing may not be universally harmonized as yet but it's close enough that there is no longer really any such thing as a "non-standard" fitting . Just saying.

Pleased the deed is accomplished, all's well that ends well.

ok..

mchambers

Former CCA member
solar-powered aeration options

Currently looking for a cheap solar-powered aeration option (no grid access), something considerably south of the grand that the latest green tech represents - obliged for any ideas/directions.
There are a ton offered in eBay. I haven't tried them (no real pond set up yet), but I'm skeptical as to whether they'd work. Even if they do, they'd only work in the day time, since they have no batteries.