• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Native plants from a lake?

zendog

Has anyone kept native plants from lakes and streams in their tanks? I was recently snorkling around in a lake and saw a bunch of interesting plants. It was a cool water lake, so my guess is they'd never survive in my tanks. Maybe in an unheated tank?

The tallest looks like some type of Val, but I liked the short ones best. I hope the image comes through.

View attachment IMG_20170731_151955270.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
I think you can technically keep many native species....I'm sure someone from GWAPA would be able to provide more details. I seem to recall that there were some species you can keep in your tank that are found around Lake Needwood.

JLW

CCA Members
A lot of the common aquarium plants ARE native plants.

The trick is knowing which ones are suitable to the aquarium. Some of them just simply won't grow, or get too big, or have needs our aquariums don't seem to meet. But, a lot of them are really cool aquarium plants... and I don't know why they're not more common.

Cal

CCA Members
I'd test it out. Throw it in a hospital tank and throw some guppies to see if they survive being with the plant. Plants have quite a tolerance to temperature change. I feel the biggest obstacle will be trying to keep the plant alive with aquarium lights since it's been living outside under sunlight this whole time.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
What Cal said. Try it out and see what happens. Might want to give it a dip to kill off unwanted pests before planting.

Blaise

Reactions: Cal

zendog

IS the lake in VA? I'd like to snorkel in this lake. Info please
Sorry, but it is a bit further drive... it's in Connecticut. The cooler weather makes for much clearer water in most lakes further north. Something I haven't seen in any lakes I've visited in VA.