• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

National Local Fish Store Meet Up Day: Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sonny Disposition

Let us know what you find out!

If that doesn't work, I can schedule something for Tropical Lagoon (next to Casa De Mofongo) or Congressional Aquarium, in Rockville, near a gajillions small restaurants.

+1

There is a small pet store with some fish in the Burke/Fairfax area.

I need to get out and check out Vienna Aquarium in their Leesburg location.

Becca

Members
I am consistently disappointed when I visit congressional - the store looks like it should have better selection and healthier stock, especially considering the high prices.

I think I need to find out more about this store in Leesburg!

AquaStudent

Members
The fish stores in the Fairfax/Burke/Vienna area that I can think of are Fairfax Aquarium right by Woodson High School. That's a nice little store with quite a bit of marine stuff (for a small store)

Vienna Aquariums is pretty nice. They had a bunch of tubs with a lot of goldfish/koi the last time I was there. They seemed more suited to outside setups.

Let me know what you find out about the Leesburg spot :)

Forester

Members
I can almost definitely arrange something with Steve at Tropical Lagoon. But really any place is fine with me.

dogofwar

CCA Members
There are really only 4 LFS remaining in MoCo:
  1. Tropical Lagoon (smelly and dark and not a sponsor despite many requests)
  2. Greenbelt place (rude owner, questionable business practices and not a sponsor)
  3. Congressional (clean, high-prices but really supportive of CCA - donated $100 gift card to AquaMania, entered and won AquaMania Aquarium Beautiful competition...allows us to post flyers there)
  4. Aquarium One (all saltwater and told me that they're "not interested in CCA and freshwater hobbyists because they're not profitable").

Slim pickings.

I prefer to support CCA sponsors.

If I need something from an LFS I buy it from Congressional.

Or wait and go to House of Tropicals.

Matt

Spine

Members
House of Tropicals would be fun.I would like to go to Discus Hans afterwards. Hans has done a lot to support CCA.

verbal

CCA Members
Greenbelt is in PG county :)

I always thought of Mont County as having a much better LFS situation than Fairfax, but it looks like it might be close :(

Fairfax County:

1. Centreville Aquarium - small, but pretty good, apparently not interested in sponsoring aquarium clubs
2. Pristine Aquarium(Alexandria) - haven't made it out there, but here it is similar to Congressional
3. Marine Scene(Herndon) - marine only, but apparently a good shop

Vienna Aquarium moved to Leesburg

There are really only 4 LFS remaining in MoCo:
  1. Tropical Lagoon (smelly and dark and not a sponsor despite many requests)
  2. Greenbelt place (rude owner, questionable business practices and not a sponsor)
  3. Congressional (clean, high-prices but really supportive of CCA - donated $100 gift card to AquaMania, entered and won AquaMania Aquarium Beautiful competition...allows us to post flyers there)
  4. Aquarium One (all saltwater and told me that they're "not interested in CCA and freshwater hobbyists because they're not profitable").

Slim pickings.

I prefer to support CCA sponsors.

If I need something from an LFS I buy it from Congressional.

Or wait and go to House of Tropicals.

Matt

DBLN8

Members
I'm reading thru these post and it occurred I'm only familiar with 2-3 of the stores mentioned. Can somebody create a thread that's only purpose is to list all the local stores in the DMV. have the members from different areas add their local stores. Kind of a master list if you will..A list by city or county???

And if it all ready exist my bad>

mchambers

Former CCA member
The last time I was in Aquarium One, they had some freshwater tanks. Definitely more focused on saltwater, but they did have freshwater.

Becca

Members
Salt of the earth...

The last time I was in Aquarium One, they had some freshwater tanks. Definitely more focused on saltwater, but they did have freshwater.

We were there within the past 3 months - almost all salt and very little selection in the freshwater department.

Becca

Members
I did try to get in touch with Peter Thode at Gwynnbrook Farms, no luck yet.

I like Tropical Lagoon, for what it's worth, though your description is accurate. Often, when I'm looking for something, they are the only ones who have it and they are who sent me to CCA and referred me to Rachel for the stuff I couldn't find there (or anywhere)... ok, actually, it was Kevin specifically...

dogofwar

CCA Members
The owner told me that they're getting completely out of fresh. Not profitable enough...

I haven't been back since a couple of weeks before AquaMania...

Matt

Becca

Members
Heard back from Peter - he says that they don't have time/space to do a group tour/shopping event.