• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Name That Fish

mscichlid

Founder
<div class='quotemain'>Let me try again.........African cichlid.[/b]

Boy, talk about playing it safe!
[/b][/quote]

At least I'm trying. I knew that it was an African cichlid right off the bat!

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
The answer is Otopharynx sp. Big Spot Magunga, if I'm not mistaken.

The genus Otopharynx falls on the mellow end of Haplochromines. These are sand-dwelling invert eaters. Males show off constantly but do no harm to tank-mates.

This gets to be quite a large fish. Still peaceful but it needs some space. Both females and fry show the large blotches on flanks.

Now, it's your turn guys!

longstocking

Members
ok this is not my fish or picture. Found it on google :

cichlid2.jpg

Sonny Disposition

Sure. That's easy. That's the Madagascar cave spawner. They're found only in one stream system, the Mbuti xenova, a series of feeder tributaries of the upper Zambuzu. Even though they look like cichlids, they're actually a freshwater adapted form of stickleback. What's really interesting about them is that they don't build nests, but lay their eggs on the undersides of rocks or old logs (hence the common name.) They're predacious, feeding mostly on insect larvae, small crustaceans, and fry of other fish in the stream system. Another interesting note is that they're polyandrous. Females lay multiple clutches of eggs, and have a series of male suitors.

Shown here are two females in spawning color. Unfortunately, spawning season lasts only in the last month or so in January. Tank raised specimens hold their color for about two weeks before spawning, and the rest of the year are a dark brown in color.

ok this is not my fish or picture. Found it on google :

cichlid2.jpg
[/b]