• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mystery

bluemoon38

Just completed cycle in 45 gal tank, water chemistry as follows: ph 8.0,temp 79, ammonia=0, nitrates=5ppm, hard water. Two days later add one yellow lab (labidochromis caeruleus). About 1.5" long, not sure of sex. He or she is doing fine(and still is) 3 days later I add 3 male peacocks about 1.5' long. They appeared to be settled in but yellow lab was keeping a close eye on them. Also introduced at the same time 2 synodontis lace catfish which I had ordered and were supposed to be in the `-1.5" size range but instead one was 3" and the other about 4.5". All was well when I went to bed, this morning 3 dead peacocks with no signs of any trauma. Cats are fine, Lab is fine and I am $40 dollars poorer.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Hard to say. I haven't had any experience with synodontis being killers. They are usually pretty relaxed. I could be the yellow lab. Maybe you have one that is really evil.

Are you water parameters still stable?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Cats or lab could've been carriers for an infection also, but tough to say since most all was added in a short period of time. Worth checking the water parameters, if those are still in line, something was brought into the tank since no evidence of trauma.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I had a yellow lab that was a straight up murderer. It could also be a chemistry swing that happened and then the bacteria caught up to it overnight. I’d focus on the yellow lab.

stany

CCA Members
My Yellow Lab is a good community tank fish in a all male tank. I do believe each fish has it's own personality and has traits that can fool us into thinking they are this or that. I have a Rusty that seems to be on a death quest occupying areas claimed by dominate males trying to own spots. He takes a beating at times and goes into hiding at times only to revisit the area of the tank he gets beat up at.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I do believe each fish has it's own personality and has traits.

I agree. As is evidenced by our different experiences with two different yellow labs. I had him in with some other Mbuna and he was a straight murderer. Yours is fine. With any cichlid, aggression should be assumed until you have the fish for a while. Even then, any fish can turn into a cold-blooded (<---literally...okay technically a poikilotherm if we are getting technical) killer if something in the tank changes, whether it be water quality or some other issue.

Where are you at with the situation now?

stany

CCA Members
Sometimes you create the best environment and hope for the best. You can only hope they behave as expected. I've sold off 4 that grew over 4 inches that got too aggressive and I'm OK with that. I've taken the grand experiment with mixing males as as a on going project.