• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mating pair of Oscars has eggs and im not sure what I should do.

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
I have a mating pair of Oscars....they have been building a nest for the last 2 days.....I got home from the beach tonight and notice what looks like 1000 eggs.....this is a South American community tank....not heavily stocked at all..The Oscars are def on guard and chasing anybody that comes close.......Any advice

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If you want to raise the fry, I'd wait until they are wigglers and then siphon them off into another tank.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have never had a lot of luck with trying to remove fish from a tank where there was a spawn. For me, trying to do so has just caused the parents to freak out and either abandon the eggs or eat them. If it were my tank, I wouldn't feed for a couple of days until the eggs hatched, siphon off a large portion of the wigglers, then go back to normal. I leave a portion of the spawn with the parent to try to avoid the violence that often comes after a pair has lost a spawn.

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
she ate her eggs...stressing me out for her to eat her damn eggs...I bought a filter heater and more ...I guess Ill be prepared next time

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
They will probably spawn again soon. If they did it once, chances are they will do it again.
I'm ready this time....is it ever a good idea to remove the eggs before they hatch.....she watched over them for 2 days and on day 3 I came home and they where gone....I feel like they may have had 1 more day before they hatched

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
You can try it, but you need powerheads to keep constant moving water against the eggs to keep them fresh. The parents do this with their fins. It's much easier to let them hatch the eggs and then remove the wigglers as stated.