• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

March Fish List

fishfarm

Members
Wilds:
Amphilophus hogaboomorum Rio Chuloteca $20 (4) 2.5-4"
Geophagus sp Rio Aeroes $30 (10) 2.5-3.5"
Satanoperca juripari $20 (1) 4.5"
Domestic Central and South American:
Amphilophus citranellus Barred $5 (20) 1.5-2"
Amphilophus citranellus Colored $5 (50) 1.5-2"
Amphilophus lysoni $8 (2) 1.5"
Amphilophus labiatus F2 Colored $4 (30) 1.5-2
Amphilophus trimaculatum $5 (40) 1"
Caquetaia spectablis F1 $5 (20) 1-1.5"
Caquetaia umbrifera $5 (20) 1"
Caguetaia umbrifera $10 (3) 2.5-3.5"
Cichlasoma islantum $8 (10) 1-1.5
Cryptoheros sp. Honduran Red Point Rio Monga F1 $5 (30) 1"
Crytotoheros nigrofasiatus F1 Rio Choluteca Orange dorsal Convict $5 (50) 1"
Cryptoheros septemfasiatus $6 (12) 1.5-2.5"
Cryptoheros spilurum Rio Teste F1 $5 (100) 1-1.5"
Cryptoheros spilurum F1 Rio Blanco Gold $5 (30) 1-1.5"
Cichlasoma festae $5 (30) 1.5-2"
Cichlasoma grammodes $5 (100) 1-1.5"
Heros efasiatus $15 (4) 3"
Heros efasiatus Adult male, Proven breeder $30 (1) 7"
Krobia sp. Orange sides F1 $5 (6) 2
Nadopsis hatiensis $5 (100) 1-2"
Neetroplus panamenses Red $6 (10) 1/2"
Parachromis dovi F1 $5 (20) 1-1.5"
Uaru amphiacanthoides $8 (20) 1.5-2
New Colombian fish:
Aequidens sp. Meta $5 (30) $5
Astronatus sp. Colombia $10 (10) 4"+ Very black wild oscars!
Apistogramma iniridae $7.50 (50) 1"
Apistogramma agassizi $5 (20) 1"
Biotodoma wavreni $5 (20) 2"
Geophagus suranamensis $5 (25) 1.5"
L-151 $10 (15) 1.5"
Microgeophagus ramerezi $5 (50) 1-1.5"
Pterophylum scalare $5 (50) 1"
Panaque nigroliniatus $15 (10) 2-3"
Symphysodon tarzo $40 (9) 5" Wild Green
Symphysodon tarzo "Red Spotted Green" $60 (9) 5" Lots of spots!
Domestic African:
Astastotilapia calliptera $3 (14) 1.5-2"
Hemichromis lifalili $5 (15) 2-3"
Julidochromis ornatus albino $8 (6) 1/2-1"
Julidochromis ornatus albino syblings $4 (20) 1/2-1"
Julidochromis transcriptus $5 (10) 1/2-1"

mscichlid

Founder
I think I'll try:

Cryptoheros sp. Honduran Red Point Rio Monga F1 $5 (30) 1" Six of these= $30

Apistogramma iniridae $7.50 (50) 1" Six of these =$45

Francine

fishfarm

Members
You got it Fran, I got an explaination from my supplier today on the missing fish, he had them at his river side collection station and the small plane that brings fish to Bogata did not show up that day. Oh well! Ken

Steve

Members
Hi Ken,

If Ron hasn't snagged them all already, I'd be interested in some of those "striking" Victorians or their fry.

And, on a related, but very different note, say you were setting up a "Rio Choluteca" tank. What would you put in it, in my case, to go with A. margaritiferum? (Let's assume a 180-gal. and not limit it to cichlids.) You've spent some serious time *in* that river, so I imagine you may have some good ideas.

Thanks,
Steve

fishfarm

Members
Hi Ken,

If Ron hasn't snagged them all already, I'd be interested in some of those "striking" Victorians or their fry.

And, on a related, but very different note, say you were setting up a "Rio Choluteca" tank. What would you put in it, in my case, to go with A. margaritiferum? (Let's assume a 180-gal. and not limit it to cichlids.) You've spent some serious time *in* that river, so I imagine you may have some good ideas.

Thanks,
Steve
[/b]
Are you sure the fry you grew out are A. margaritaferum? When I came up there last year they were very small, most ended up being A. hogaboomorum when I grew them out. I only got one Margaritaferum. Rest were Parachromis and Cryptoheros species.
We caught in the Rio Chuloteca
Amphilophus hogaboomorum
A. longimanus(margaritaferum)
Cryptoheros nigrofasiatus
C. cutteri
Parachromis motoguense
P. fredrickstalli
Mexican tetras
Poceilia mexicana
Anebleps dowii
Ken

Steve

Members
Are you sure the fry you grew out are A. margaritaferum? When I came up there last year they were very small, most ended up being A. hogaboomorum when I grew them out. I only got one Margaritaferum. Rest were Parachromis and Cryptoheros species.
We caught in the Rio Chuloteca
Amphilophus hogaboomorum
A. longimanus(margaritaferum)
Cryptoheros nigrofasiatus
C. cutteri
Parachromis motoguense
P. fredrickstalli
Mexican tetras
Poceilia mexicana
Anebleps dowii
Ken
[/quote]

Hi Ken,

Thanks for a great talk this past Saturday as well as for responding to my questions here. (I hadn't viewed your response on Saturday when we talked, but I really like the idea of a large river-specific set-up.) But, it's funny you ask that question above ("Are you sure . . . ?") Even last summer, I was looking at those fish and thinking, "Gee, that's not exactly the head shape I remember from the slide show" So, I just went and looked at some online photos of A. longimanus(margaritaferum) and then Amphilophus hogaboomorum and . . . nope. So then I looked at the photos in this 1980 Loiselle article in FAMA (sorry, this version is in Spanish) and thought, "Oh, s***!":

http://www.cichlidae.com/article-es.php?id=92

Those A. longimanus(margaritaferum) that you showed in your presentation last year were gorgeous. Alas, I got an eating machine (and he may be mean, but he sure isn't going to be lean!!).

Oh, well, the perils of buying fish outside your comfort zone. Although, now I *do* want some A. longimanus(margaritaferum)!!

On the positive side, George should feel pleased because he let me take them in the auction last year!!

Anyway, since this is somewhat amusing, I thought I would share this tale with everyone.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve

Members
If you click the button right under Paul's picture that says English you can read it. LOL Ken
[/b]

Ok, now that is even funnier!! Although I'm wading through it in a vain effort to pretend that I haven't forgotten all my Spanish. I'm thinking that next year (2008) could be the overseas adventure.

If I remember correctly from last year, Ken, you folks don't really take any security precautions when you're in Honduras except for staying at good hotels/resorts. Is that correct?

Cheers,
Steve

maddog10

Members
Even I saw the how to change to English. That is priceless. But, in Steve's defense, he knows 37 languages and needs to practice every now and again.

Steve

Members
Even I saw the how to change to English. That is priceless. But, in Steve's defense, he knows 37 languages and needs to practice every now and again.
[/b]

Well, what I saw was:

"Versión: Spanish por Manuel Zapater Galve" and I basically thought, "No kidding it's in Spanish."
Hey, no one ever said that I couldn't grasp (most of) the obvious.

Alas, for all the time I've invested in learning foreign languages . . . geez, you're talking about a WorldCom or Global Crossing-like return on that investment. It's really sad. If you take Spanish for, oh, six or seven years, you'd think more of it would have sunk in. Maybe it was just that all the classes were held in a foreign language . . . .

fishfarm

Members
Most places we go are poretty safe, staying in nice hotels helps. When your out collecting the local kids all want to help. Most folks are pretty friendly. Ken