• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Malaysian driftwood from HOT

Aqua410

Members
Anyone purchased this stuff in the past? I've been soaking it in buckets for 2 months and it's still leaching tannins like crazy. Something tells me this isn't really Malaysian driftwood but something like mopani instead which seems to leach almost indefinitely. I paid a mint for this driftwood and if it's not the real deal I'll feel a little burned.

Aqua410

Members
I should follow up by saying I'm not intending to call out HOT or levy an accusations of false advertising I'm just wondering if there is a possibility that it is mislabeled intentionally or unintentionally. It's also possible that Malaysian driftwood leaches more then I expected and furthermore that being in 5 gallon buckets makes it seem like it's leaching more then it is.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I've had Malaysian drift wood leach for over a year. I do water changes every week, so I never let it get to where it bothered me.

ddavila06

Members
get a different kind of wood, or buy wood that has been in a tank for a long time? Manzanita wood leaches, but much less than other kinds ime

Becca

Members
All wood leaches tannins. The thicker the wood, the longer it takes to stop. Malaysian is nice because it usually sinks without any pre-soaking or other prep, but it still leaches tannins.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aqua410

Members
I think the effect is greatly amplified because I've been keeping it in 5 gallon buckets and changing the Water for hot water once a week. I'm going to do weekly changes and with 55 gallons it should be less noticeable I suppose. I can always trade for some more tank established wood if the need arises. I've already had one member here kindly offer.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Malaysian and Mopani generally look pretty different. Mopani is lighter colored and usually has a smooth surface, at least for part of the surface.