• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Malawi Cichlid water condition setup

TimD

Hello, I'm building my first cichlid aquarium. It will be a 120 with a sump.

I'm on city water and my question is about setting up and maintaining water quality for Malawi cichlids:

Currently I'm planning on using pool filter sand for substrate for simplicity.

How do you recommend getting/ keeping water conditions ideal? Certain rocks in tank or sump? Dose of baking soda, Epsom salt?

I'd like to keep this as simple and repeatable as possible!

Thank you

TimD

Holey rock in the tank or crushed coral in the sump and maintenance is easy, just change the water.

Thanks for the reply ... really, that's it? I should add that I've used API Stress Coat for chlorine/chloramines ... no salt at all in the water?! Does sound easy!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Salt really isn't needed and can just create issues if you're not very precise when performing water changes. Dechlorinator is definitely a must so glad that's already covered.

TimD

Would you recommend any plants in a cichlid aquarium (for water quality, aside from the visual)?

Also, recommendations on water movement? I'll have the overflow to the sump and the return ... include air stone, sponge filter, or power head?

Thank you! Tim

Reed

Very Fishe
Would you recommend any plants in a cichlid aquarium (for water quality, aside from the visual)?

Also, recommendations on water movement? I'll have the overflow to the sump and the return ... include air stone, sponge filter, or power head?

Thank you! Tim
If your keeping cichlids then I'll have Anubis at my BFD table

Lcasanova

CCA Members
I like the Caribsea Live substrate for African Cichlids. I'm on city water too and have never had a problem with PH or needed to buffer.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President

Thank you! Tim
Vallisneria is a good option because it does fine in hard water, and is generally not tasty to most Africans. Java fern can be ok most of the time. Anubias as Reed mentioned.

Powerhead or wavemaker can be options for water movement and can be good for certain types, and also to manage aggression, but may not be necessary depending on the amount of flow from your return pump. Air stone or sponge filter can't hurt, but may not be necessary if you're getting adequate flow through your sump.