1. Welcome Back! Please clear your cookies and cache. If you encounter issues please report it on this thread here --> https://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/posts/245545/ Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Next meeting of the CCA - September 10th 2pm John Krepper / Enjoying Lake Tanganyika Cichlids and their aquarium requirements.
    Dismiss Notice

lyonsi cichlds

Discussion in 'New World' started by hellman10, May 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. hellman10

hellman10 New Member

Jim
    Last Activity:
    May 12, 2012
    Okay i have a trio of lyonsi cichlids they are like 5" each and they are in a 125 gallon tank. I am wanting to know is there a certian temp it need to be at for them to start breeding do they need a certian food or can you give me any info on them thank you

2. rsretep

rsretep CCA Members

peter j glover
    Last Activity:
    Jun 14, 2016
    I am currently keeping Lyonsii also. Mine are in a 75 gallon I have one 8" male one 5" male and three 4 1/2" females. They recently had a spawn on Easter, their first, and the eggs wound up turning white.
    I try to vary their foods. Mostly pellets or sticks,freeze dried krill and their favorite is frozen krill.

I don't do anything special on temp. It stays at 76*. Water changes of half the tank volume monthly.

Am hoping to see more eggs soon, the pair are going through their spawning ritual again so hopefully something in the near future.

3. dogofwar

dogofwar Global Moderators
    Staff Member

Last Activity:
    Today at 7:13 AM
    Condition them with quality pellets like NLS or Xtreme...do weekly water changes...add in some red wigglers and/or earthworms a couple of times per week...and when the male chooses a female and starts to go through the motions (they pair...not breed in harems), then do a larger than usual, warm water change and raise the temp to 82....and they'll probably breed.

As our speaker said yesterday, the key is PATIENCE. Cichlids breed when they're happy. Take the time to figure it out and they will reward you.

Matt