• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Low tech 6gal pillar

Aqua410

Members
I got this tank at ollies a few weeks ago for $35 and it's coming along nicely. It's a marineland 6 gallon pillar. I modified the stock HOB, added a 50 watt heater, running a 10w 6500k LED spotlight from fleabay, dosing excel daily and flourish comp weekly. Doing a 50% water change weekly and plant growth has been really good. Flora is Dwarf hair grass, crypt parva, lloydiella(creeping jenny), and java fern. I am fairly impressed with how well the DHG is growing without injected co2 but the spotlamp is really strong and if I didn't have this many plants or wasn't religiously dosing excel I think it would be green algae soup. Fauna is a group of male endlers and a nice group of RCS (thanks Becca!).

This little tank really has me fired up on planted setups and I spent this week starting to piece together a sweet injected co2 system for a similar sized tank. I'll have some pics up in Jan of that setup as I get it together but I'm going on all on a high tech tank.

rsanz

monster tank newbie
Cool! Nano tanks are always fun, and it's nice to fit a 50% water change into a single bucket for a change. :p

Looks great!

Aqua410

Members
Thanks! This tank is mostly an experiment to hone the craft of a low tech nano tank. I will eventually replace this with a 12x12 glass cube once I get better at not only keeping plants alive but actually growing them. The pillar tank actually can make you dizzy looking at it since it distorts everything a bit which can be unpleasant.