• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

LEDs for Shop Lights?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm going to light my new fishroom with a combination of LEDs (I got a bunch of clearance from IKEA) on individual tanks plus a couple of overhead shop lights.

The shop lights are regular, cheap Home Depot ones designed for old school 4' fluorescent bulbs. I know that there are LED replacements. Which would be best?

Recommendations? Preferably something that I could buy from Home Depot, Lowes, Kensfish or Yourfishstuff :)

Thanks,
Matt

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Define that question. Are you talking about bulbs or ballasts? If you are talking bulbs, we would need to know the style of end that the fixture/ballast has so that we can give you better recommendations. Maybe some pics would help.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Just bulbs. They're just the regular, off-the-shelf flourescent shop lights from Lowes: Utilitech 4 ft. 2-light shop light.

It holds 2 t-12: 25, 34 or 40 watt double end (bi-pin) linear flourescent bulbs.

Are there some (lower wattage) LEDs that I can just stick into the same slots? Any better than others for overhead light for the fishroom?

Not interested in modding or otherwise messing with the fixtures :)

Thanks,
Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
Costco sells a two-pack that doesn't require replacing the ballast. I think Home Depot might too. Just read the box to see if they're plug and play. These are all T8 though.

FishEggs

If you're not looking to modify the light fixture at all and get direct plug and play bulbs for a t12 fixture your best bet is to just get a new led shop light fixture like this one. The cost of the bulbs will be about the same if not more and you will still have that old t12 ballast in there wasting energy and waiting to fail on you.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hmmm... I bought the fixtures some time ago and didn't use them. Guess I should just go with the new ones...

Matt

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Sounds like it. I would do it now while setting up. Will save hassle in the long run if you can afford it.

Hawkman2000

Members
T8 LED tubes are available on amazon and at home depot.

There are a few that are plug and play, but they cost more, and are not as bright.

All of the T8 LED tubes I have installed came with simple instructions on how to bypass the ballast for direct wiring.