• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Leaves from outside

IndianaSam

CCA Members
Oak, beech.
Agreed. I'd add that maple are perfectly suitable as well assuming that you're not using them to lower the pH of the water. Because they won't, unlike oak and beech.

I don't even bother boiling them, but just add them by the handful and let them sink over time (usually only takes a day or two). They're great for blackwater biotopes and maple is great for shrimp tanks. The naturally occurring bacteria and fungi and resulting biofilm make great food for shrimp and Apisto fry.

I suppose it's a good idea to collect them from places that don't use herbicide or pesticide, but I get them from my yard and I know I don't use any of those on my lawn.

halak

Members
I use oak leaves from my yard, and I don't boil them. I'd say just make sure no pesticides, herbicides, or fungicides are used where you are collecting from. You are welcome to get some oak leaves from my yard.

CichlidDan

Members
Thanks for the suggestions I have some oaks in my yard. I’ll use some I’m expecting some wild chili rasboras next week and wanted to lower the ph it’s at 7 right now.

IndianaSam

CCA Members
Magnolia leaves work quite well too. They were one of my favorites there. Don’t have them here in Michigan and it’s a bummer (but at least I have oak
Yup, Magnolia leaves definitely have more of a "tropical" look than a lot of other types.

CichlidDan

Members
Magnolia leaves work quite well too. They were one of my favorites there. Don’t have them here in Michigan and it’s a bummer (but at least I have oak
Thanks I know someone that has a magnolia I’ll check with them to see if they use pesticides in their yard.