• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lake Victoria research and field work

npbarca

Members
Hey everyone,

Long overdue, but I've been doing some cool stuff with cichlids that some people might be interested in. Over the summer, I had the chance to work with Dr. Les Kaufman on Victorian cichlids. The work involved mainly going through survey data of thousands of photographs of fish, including many undescribed and new species. Part of the project also involves stable isotope analysis of all the fish caught in a 2017 survey with the goal of building a trophic map of various species at different localities around the lake. Basically, lots of data and so many ways to go about it!

Now, I'm a part of the project team full time (at least when there is work to do!) and am beginning work on my undergrad thesis. I haven't yet decided on an exact research question, but it will be on Victoria cichlids (possibly looking at dentition and how it compares to historical collections and trophic level). Next summer, I'll be carrying out field work for my own project as well as filling in some data gaps of the larger project on the Kenyan side of the lake at KMFRI with a Kenyan scientist I met over the summer. Lots of surveying, sampling, and cataloguing of cichlids! So feel free to ask anything about Vics...I'll try my best to answer

npbarca

Members
Cool stuff! I have a question, Why do Victorians all look the same besides their colors?
Short answer...evolution! About 12,000 years ago, the lake was dry, so the current flock evolved from just a few riverine haplochromines. Much of the evolution seems to be based on food/trophic level/predation. Not all look the same...in the 2017 survey, 22 different genera of haplochromines were identified, and over 300 identified species. They all have slight morphological differences, but obviously some more than others (which makes them extremely hard to identify).