• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Labidochromis Caeruleus Tankmates

Cristy

Members
I'm planning my first African cichlid tank! I've had S. Americans before, but never any hardwater species. So now I have an empty 30 gallon tank waiting for some African beauties. I would like to start with Labidochromis caeruleus - 1 male, 2-3 females. But who else will get along with them in a 30g? I like Pseudotropheus demasoni and Sciaenochromis fryeri, but I hear they're both too aggressive. Any other suggestions on nice-ish colorful fish?

Cristy

okimavich

Members
Congratulations! :)

Are you looking at a standard 30G tank? Take a look at this cookie cutter. It will give an idea of what you can go with in such a tank.

The S. fryeri (aka ahli) will want more room to swim about. The demasoni may work, but you are probably limited to one in that tank.

JustRon

Members
The Labs are very peaceful fish and do not grow very large.

You could place a trio of some type of a peacock or you could go with the mbuna of various types that are more peaceful.

The Fryeri will get too large for that tank though.

The demasoni do get very agressive with their own kind, so they are not good for that size of a tank, thought they may be kept if there is sufficient space for the females to get away.

There are many variables so it is best for you to decide which genre of fish you wish to keep with the Yellow Labs.

Cristy

Members
Thanks for your replies!

It's a 30 Long = 36". I plan to provide lots of caves. The "cookie cutter" for a 20g suggests L. caeruleus with Haplochromis sp. "Ruby Green" which are quite beautiful. Do you think my choices could be expanded much since my tank's a 30g?

I've been scouring the internet to find a suitable combo, but it's just getting more frustrating. There is very little info about African cichlids in tanks less than 55g.
My favorites have been the bright blue fishes, like Cynotilapia axelrodi, Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos, P. demasoni (which seem to be way too aggressive), etc. Oh, I just don't know what to do!

Cristy

Members
Pseudotropheus saulosi !!!!!! :eek: I can't believe I haven't found these before. Wow! Okay, how many of these can be kept in the 30? What ratio of males to females do you recommend? Does anybody here breed them?

G

grand_sea

you may be able to put labeotropheus trewevasae in with your yello lab. collection try one male & two or three Females the males are blue and the females are yellow-orange(when picking them out, the black spotting on the females is normal) "some people I've sold to thought my fish had worms or something" they don't it's normal

I have found all of the Aulonocara sp. to be wonderful tankmates for L. sp., and they are even more beautiful than the labs.

C

chris1017

are you people mad, a 30 gallon is a very small tank for malawi cichlids and that is why you dont find much about it. saying that, i have a 30 gallon with 6 electric yellows, it is very nice and i think you will find it more enjoyable with 6 yellow then with 2 or 3 of of couple things. the greatest thing about cichlids and why people love them so much is because of their personallity which you will not get to enjoy keeping them in small groups.

next topic, the only fish i can think of off the top of my head that would fit in a 30 is the electric yellow, socolofi's, and labidochromis sp. perlmutt. if you choose an aulonocara i only suggest the strartgranti, sunshine or the jacobfreibergi, but they like their wide open spaces to swim.

and last but not least, i would never put labs and trewevasae in a 30 gallon together, at the least the trewevasae should be in a 55 gallon.