• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

June Meeting Table

Becca

Members
I'm deciding what to bring to sell at my table on Saturday. I thought it might be good to put up a list of what I have available and see if there are particular items folks are interested in. Some of what I have available currently includes:
  • Danio margaritatus (Celestial pearl danio) - young
  • Tanichthys micagemmae (Vietnamese white cloud) - young
  • Tangerine tiger shrimp (Caridina cf. cantonensis)
  • High grade red cherry shrimp (Neocaridina sp.)
  • Blue bolt shrimp
  • Caridina cf. babaulti
  • Caridina pareparensis parvidentata
  • Tadpoles (Northern green frog)
  • Pond plants - water lettuce, water hyacinth, parrot's feather, iris
  • Aquarium plants -crypts, ferns, anubias, bucephalandra, potamogeton, etc.
If you see something on the list (or on any of my other sale posts) that you'd like to see at the meeting on Saturday, let me know.

Becca

Members
Will northern green frogs eat fish fry? I assume they will.

If they do, I haven't noticed it. I've had them coming to my pond for years, although this is the first year they've spawned, and I've never noticed any shortage of fry. I think it's likely they try, but I doubt they succeed all that often. The adults are large enough to eat my spawning adult fish, if they wanted, but I haven't had any problems. The tadpoles are great for algae control and adults can help with dragonflies and other insects with predatory aquatic larvae.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Darn it, Becca. You've got some things I'm looking for (CPDs, VWCs and pond plants), but I can't come to the meeting.

Blaise

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Will northern green frogs eat fish fry? I assume they will.
I do not believe frogs are capable of eating fish. Their mouth does not have gills, So if they suck in a fry and a lot of water, how do they retain the fry and get rid of the water? Their predatory mouth and tongue are only adapted to zapping bugs and birds out of the air. Yes, I watched a large frog take down a small sparrow.

I have a native population of frogs and have never noticed a decrease in the numbers of fry due to frogs.

MarkK

CCA Members
So we are doing table sales instead of the mini-auction this month?

Is this posted anyplace on the site?