• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Jaguar Fry Problem

emj920

Members
So my jags have been breeding again and the fry keep getting sucked into the overflows.
My tank has the perfecto overflow boxes with slots at the top and near the bottom.
Im running herbie drains. I put a sponge from a mag drive over the drain pipe. I thought I could siphon them out. The flow is too strong so the fry are getting sucked onto the sponge and dying there. So is there anyway to keep the fry from entering the overflows?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Eric

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

monfrey29

Members
I would think you could put sponges in front of the slots to your over flows where the current might not be so strong. Maybe even a circulation pump blowing them away from the slots along with the sponges. Your water will still be filtered without a problem.

Sent from my YP-G70 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hawkman2000

Members
Maybe try using a turkey baster to relocate them into a breeding net before they are free swimming. The sponge might work as well.

emj920

Members
Thanks for the suggestions. They are free swimming now.
This is their third batch and all have died in my sump. The problem is my male turns on the female after and beats on her pretty badly. So I have to divide them.
I don't have a breeding net. I'll look into getting one tomorrow.
Covering the intakes will be hard on the lower slots. If I only cover the top the fry will be stuck in between.
Here is a picture of them now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1337127949.503524.jpg

Jag586

Members
Emj920 I want to pick ur brain about tank setup, I have a 200 gal for what I belive is a male n female jag

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jag586

Members
Sand substrate, lots of large river rocks creating caves n such, 40 gal sump turn over rate 8x, going to redo the rocks adding more caves and breaking up line of sight right now the rocks are in the corners wanna make em in the middle

Jag586

Members
I dont have em sexed yet... Think its m/f but not 100%

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
they are beginning to come into maturity levels and start morphing. males will spot and lose most barring while keeping some faint barring for a while. the females will keep their bars but will still have the spotting. have you flipped them over and looked at their undersides to check?