• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ivanacara adoketa sexing help

JLW

CCA Members
Unfortunately, Kyle, its nearly impossible to tell with that picture, as the fish is not in focus....

Looking at the second picture, I think its a female.

JLW

CCA Members
They're hard to sex when they're not in breeding condition, particularly because the females have kinda pointy fins, too.... The stripe pattern is the dead give-away. The reasonable lack of stripes on that fish implies female to me.

stany

CCA Members
I would agree with Joshua it looks to be female due to the lack of stripes. Not sure how mature this one is. Different strains can display outside the box until they are in mating mode.

chriscoli

Administrator
So I looked at my pair yesterday after a waterchange. They are a proven breeding pair according to the person that I got them from. Both male and female were flirting and intermittently showing off their stripes to each other. I think the only difference I noticed was size. The female is smaller than the male and less bulky looking.

JLW

CCA Members
Yea, sometimes I think the only way to determine sex is that the one eggs come out of is female... and the other one is male, if the eggs hatch. :)