• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

is it just me?

Lively

Members
Barbara,
SOUNDS LIKE ME :)! I have a storage unit packed with used tanks as people are in a "crunch" right now and they need the money. I actually kind of purchase them for .60-.80C on the dollar, however, if they want it back they pay the price that I paid them. I understand people are in a crunch but I always could use more tanks. In my thinking though, I am helping these people out with instant money and once they get back on their feet they can have their tanks back @ what I paid for them. If they do not want them back then I purchase some sweet tanks for some sweet deals. I sometimes turn around and sell them or put them up in friends offices and hospitals and charge a monthly fee for usage.

That is just too cool!

Barbara

Members
Wow, what a great idea!

My problem is, once I get my hands on a tank, it's full of fish almost immediately! Too many species catch my interest, and too little tank space!

longstocking

Members
lol... I'm glad I'm the one that likes keeping fish.

He likes it too... jus not as much. He likes buying tanks for some odd reason. I have no idea why. I have to tell him no more tanks ;)

If I want new fish... all I have to do is go looking for a deal on tropheus. They are his favorite :) Luckily the fish I like can go with Tropheus.

I don't really hide anything in terms of buying stuff... he would notice. He knows evey name of every fish I have.

Sonny Disposition

Why do you say you have a problem? You're happy. Your sweetie is happy. I don't see a problem.

I have a different problem. My husband and I are BOTH into the tanks. He actually measured the wall behind the TV and said, in a serious voice, "If we get rid of the TV we could put another 6 foot tank here!"

Now he has plans for an outdoor pond, and turning our garage into a fish room. He spends hours per week figuring out how many tanks we can fit. I think one of us needs a little control, a little rational thought, but I see him checking Craigslist daily for deals on tanks. I live in a scary world!

Sonny Disposition

The only problem with a cement bottom for a pond is that calcium carbonate will leach into the water. That might be a problem for some species. Perhaps painting the cement with swimming pool paint might prevent the minerals from leaching into the water.

Peter Thode, a discus breeder north of Baltimore, built some indoor tanks with with cinderblock and painted them with swimming pool paint. There were issues with the design, but I forget what they were.

Barbara,
SOUNDS LIKE ME :)! I have a storage unit packed with used tanks as people are in a "crunch" right now and they need the money. I actually kind of purchase them for .60-.80C on the dollar, however, if they want it back they pay the price that I paid them. I understand people are in a crunch but I always could use more tanks. In my thinking though, I am helping these people out with instant money and once they get back on their feet they can have their tanks back @ what I paid for them. If they do not want them back then I purchase some sweet tanks for some sweet deals. I sometimes turn around and sell them or put them up in friends offices and hospitals and charge a monthly fee for usage.

I am actually making the plans for a 18-25k gallon pond in the front yard. It will be rock/cement mixture with no liner as the cement should be significant enough until it cracks :(.. Hmm, might just put a liner in their to be on the safe side. I just hate the folds with liners! C-Ya!
jpk

Barbara

Members
Why do you say you have a problem? You're happy. Your sweetie is happy. I don't see a problem.

Well, in some ways it isn't a problem. We love our tanks, and we both care for them. But, there's no one to say "Stop!" in our house. Almost every available space is taken by tanks. We have 39 set up right now, and are holding off until we can convert the garage into a fish room to set up the ones we have stored.

Well, in some ways it isn't a problem. We love our tanks, and we both care for them. But, there's no one to say "Stop!" in our house. Almost every available space is taken by tanks. We have 39 set up right now, and are holding off until we can convert the garage into a fish room to set up the ones we have stored.

I guess you could say that it is a problem, but it is not a bad problem, it's a good one;) I like the idea of turning the garage to a fish room. I might just do a FISH ROOM ADDITTION to the house.:D

Barbara

Members
I guess you could say that it is a problem, but it is not a bad problem, it's a good one;) I like the idea of turning the garage to a fish room. I might just do a FISH ROOM ADDITTION to the house.:D

I think life will be a lot easier when I can just keep a few tanks in the house, and the majority in the garage. At this point, I stagger water changes over a couple of days, because of the logistics of having tanks all over the house. Having a centralized location would be a lot simpler in the long run. I'll always have a couple of show tanks in the house, with some of my favorite fish (how do I decide that?!?) but I'd like to move the majority of the fish into a dedicated room.

Sonny Disposition

Barbara, Barbara, Barbara. The solution isn't fewer tanks. The solution is to speed up water changes.

Matt Quinn and Ron Nielson rigged up automated water change systems to change the water on multiple tanks at a time. (I'm working on a low tech system for my tanks.)

Steve F. uses a high flow pump to pull the water out of the tank in minutes.

Consolidate tanks, with a central rack and lighting. Locate them near a sink, or a basement floor drain.

Barbara, you and your sweetie can do this!

I think life will be a lot easier when I can just keep a few tanks in the house, and the majority in the garage. At this point, I stagger water changes over a couple of days, because of the logistics of having tanks all over the house. Having a centralized location would be a lot simpler in the long run. I'll always have a couple of show tanks in the house, with some of my favorite fish (how do I decide that?!?) but I'd like to move the majority of the fish into a dedicated room.

kbeaudean

Members
That's the same way with use, there no one to say stop!!!! we have a 4 bedroom house and we are now starting on the 3rd bedroom, what we should of done was fix up the basement but now i think we have to put in floor supports instead! But in the long run our days are full of entertainment so it's worth it!

longstocking

Members
Look at it this way... at least you have someone to help with water changes and feeding!!! Plus you get to talk to each other about what exciting thing happened in your tanks.

If I say... "honey, I just spawned "this" fish for the first time" ... I get this really funny look from Bill lol....

I used to get a congrats... etc.... I think I spawn too many fish lol

He was excited about the Petrochromis spawn I just had... but that was for other reasons ( they are worth quite a bit lol ) I was excited because it's a freak'n hard fish to spawn !!!!!

Mikeinco

Members
I have a paypal account and i would get into some serious trouble if a certain someone knew how much i pay for fish and shipping.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Like I said in an earlier post, I tell her about most things. That being said....
She does not go with me to the Lancaster meetings and is in bed when I get home with the styro. lol

With my truck I can leave dry goods in the back till the proper time.

Also in winter time my work coat has very big pockets.

Summer is a little harder on the motorcycle.

With my truck I can leave dry goods in the back till the proper time.

Also in winter time my work coat has very big pockets.

Summer is a little harder on the motorcycle.

That's too funny. I think winter time is the best time since you get to wear the big coats.:D