• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I tripped myself in my own self talk.

Vinh2o

Members
I had a mind drift & asked myself do I like a few big tanks or a bunch of small ones. If I was forced I think I would prefer a few big ones. Right now I am at 11, as big as 125 all the way down to 40B. I just hope that day does not come anytime soon when I forced to make a decision. What would you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
+1 pn what Christine said - it depends on what you want to do. I have only two tanks, a 55 and 45. They are both in my family room, where I spend a good deal of time, so I can enjoy them. Very difficult to spawn and retrieve fish. So, you need to decide what you want to achieve, both short and long term.

Aqua410

Members
A bunch of medium sized tanks, 40 Breeders mostly.

In what situations would a 40b be better then a 55? I'm going to buy two tanks at the next dollar per gallon sale and I'm really not sure which size to go with for my two groups of crytoheros? I have 6 nanos and 6 panamensis that I want to get bigger tanks for.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Depending on where/how your going to put the tanks. You can stack three 40b or two 55s. Most fish prefer floor space for territories. 40bs have more square inch floor space than 55s.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Big tanks are OK although I found the standard 6" 120/125s to be far less stimulating and useful than tanks that are taller and deeper. Not to say that it's not amusing to have two to three larger species setting up "dens" at opposite ends and maybe also in the middle of a six foot tank simultaneously (big fun when they brood at the same time and the fry start mixing), but generally I'd take a 18" x 24" x 48" 90 gallon any day, and better still a 2' x 2' x 4' 120 (for my money the ultimate configuration). Like 125s, 55s are essentially display tanks - but exhibiting fish is generally different than breeding them and as Dr. Lefler pointed out territory is about acreage much more so than verticality, as is serious internal planting/landscaping which is far easier to accomplish/do well with more ground.

40s are called 40 breeders for good reason, and if you have the space to do racks of them, brilliant/rock on, but if one is balancing appetite with size/budget constraints, hard to do better than racking 10 gallon tanks endwise top and bottom on a 6 foot double stand - perhaps no better, more compact, cost-effective way of spawning a dozen+ different Apisto/dwarf cichlid and/or Corydoras species all at once in a small space (and with only one medium sized air pump and two 48" lights). When I broke down my 45 tank/1000 gallon array in DC, the Eheim canisters and the two old 6" double shelved iron racks we're all I kept (the newer ones are generally ugly and less sturdy). At $50 a pop was the best money I ever spent on the hobby except for maybe Chriscoli's fish-whisperer lessons.

Aqua410

Members
Depending on where/how your going to put the tanks. You can stack three 40b or two 55s. Most fish prefer floor space for territories. 40bs have more square inch floor space than 55s.

I'm wondering if I should go for 40b's over 55's for 6 panamensis? Doesn't the length of a 55 allow more areas for these medium sized fish to create territories?

dogofwar

CCA Members
The 4' length will probably allow two pairs of panemensis to co-exist while the 36" tank will reduce the chances of that, at least without a divider

No matter what size tank(s), maintaining new worlds can require moving fish around and re-adjustment, especially when they start to breed!

I'm wondering if I should go for 40b's over 55's for 6 panamensis? Doesn't the length of a 55 allow more areas for these medium sized fish to create territories?

Aqua410

Members
The 4' length will probably allow two pairs of panemensis to co-exist while the 36" tank will reduce the chances of that, at least without a divider

No matter what size tank(s), maintaining new worlds can require moving fish around and re-adjustment, especially when they start to breed!

As always, I appreciate the insight! I would be happy with 4 of them in the end. My goal was to keep as many of the 6 as possible but I do realize the limitations of smaller tanks so I'll have to see how they do long term.