• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I may give up on all my breeding projects

Acara19

CCA Members
Long story short, all my breeding projects in the last year failed, all i have left is bristlenose plecos that are still too small to breed. I just lost all my guppies to a camallanus outbreak, I don't know what else to do at this point.

JLW

CCA Members
Sometimes, we run into strings of bad luck, and its not the worst idea to take a step back and away from the hobby, to take a little break. Hobbies are supposed to be fun, and when they're nothing but disheartening, frustrating, or expensive, they kinda lose the point. Taking a break gives you a chance to come back to the hobby in a few months, years, whenever, with a fresh start, a fresh mind, and it gives you time to decide what you really like about it. Often, we get a tank, enjoy setting it up, enjoy the fish, and somewhere... stop enjoying it, but its there, and we keep going at it, without the joy anymore. Stepping back can bring the joy back when we return.

And, sometimes, the bad luck is really our own fault -- especially with this hobby. Its easy to get in over your head, to have twenty three tanks, when we really should only have one. You don't realise it, its like that boiled frog, you just somehow got to the point where you're doing too much, not enjoying it, and no longer putting in the time and dedication to doing it that you should.

So, take a break -- keep a tank if you want, just to enjoy, or don't, and come back to the hobby down the road.

stany

CCA Members
I completely agree with JLW. I started an all male tank three years ago, I thought I did all the research I needed and set up a tank with 13 guarnteed male fish. 2- 2 1/2 inches As time went on I lost fish for no good reason, but I also sold fish that reached 5 inches and out grew the tank or became too agressive. People told me I was nuts trying to do this. I'm was down to 3 fish 4-5 inches that always hid in the rocks, I just added 8- 2 inch males to start over. What happened is the larger fish are now out to play and the little guys are enjoying the tank. The now biggest fish, I only saw during water changes and gravel cleanings when I removed all the rocks is posing for pictures. The money I made selling the larger fish paid for the new little ones. I get taking a break to figure out what went wrong but understand these are cichlids and each has it's own personality. The best thing you did was find this site as there a a ton of people here who have first hand experience and are willing to help. You are not alone

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Sometimes its best not to specifically have a goal to breed your fish, just feed them and keep up on water changes, they'll be healthy and likely eventually reward you with a happy surprise. Its always more fun when its unexpected, at least for fish anyway...

FishEggs

Sometimes its best not to specifically have a goal to breed your fish, just feed them and keep up on water changes, they'll be healthy and likely eventually reward you with a happy surprise. Its always more fun when its unexpected, at least for fish anyway...
That's pretty much my approach to breeding them. Put male and female in tank and try to keep them happy and hope nature takes it's course. If they procreate awesome! If not I have some cool fish to enjoy.