• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hybrids/ Designer Peacocks / Haps - opinions

Tankster

Members
I posted this in my bucket list thread but thought it was worthy of its own thread

After making the bucket list and going back to read more it looks like some of the fish I listed are hybrids purposefully mixed.
Although pretty, I wonder if this is a bad or frowned upon practice. I know it’s fairly well accepted in the Discus hobby, it pretty much IS the Discus hobby for the most part but being new to Africans I was wondering if the opposite sentiment holds true here?
I’m all about putting what I like in my tank but it seems like there’s enough variety out there without having to cross breed these for bubble gum colors.
What’s the general opinion in the hobby?

*this is for an all male Hap/Peacock tank so no chance of further “mixing”.

CichlidDan

Members
Personally I don’t have issues with keeping hybrids. I’ve had multiple African cichlid hybrids. The only issue I have is when people try to sell them as pure fish.

Gourami Swami

CCA Members
my personal opinion, is that they are bad for the hobby in the long run, because even if you sell them responsibly and tell the people exactly what they are getting, you can't guarantee that the people that buy them, will do the same. So we end up with a bunch of people who have fish which they think are pure, but were actually crossed with something a few generations back. Adds to confusion and muddies the gene pool.
I have no issue at all with producing them for your own curiosity, and keeping them yourself in your tanks. But to me, the responsible thing to do, would be to not let them leave your house.
Just my .02 on it

Reed

Very Fishe
Leffler817 Leffler817 is an expert at hybrids and breeds the regularly. I am sure he has what your looking for