• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How do you SAFELY break apart a cracked tank?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have a 40b that has a massive crack that has spread along the bottom of the tank. I tried to remove the trim, thinking a razor blade could get between the panes and separate them. I was wrong. I would like to get it into the trash/recycle asap but I don't want to hit it with a hammer, in fear of glass shattering all over the room.

Any suggestions?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Pry the trim/frame off with a putty knife. They silicone the glass to the plastic, so you need something strong enough to break that seal. You don't have to worry about being gentle since the glass is already cracked. After the frame is off, the rest should be easy, just cut through the silicone beads and the individual panes should separate. Good luck! If you do it carefully, you may be able to use some of the old panes for glass tops. Just be careful to check the edges.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Too easy

Throw a cardboard box or unwanted piece of fabric over it before terminating with your weapon of choice. That or just tap it, as opposed to pummeling it, with a hammer until it begins cracking at which point you should be able to dissemble it.

Better still:

Turn it upside down so that you can break out just the bottom and collect the glass inside and under the tank (on newspaper?). With the bottom removed, you should be able to collapse the four sides without even breaking them, re-use the pieces (36" lids are expensive) or employ it as a miniature hothouse.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Sorry - meant disassemble. Nothing furtive about smashing glass.

I followed your course of action. I put cardboard under the tank and flipped the tank upside down so the bottom was up. Then I covered the glass with newspaper and began forcibly tapping with a hammer. The edges where the silicone met the glass did not come off as easily as I thought, but I was able to get the broken piece removed (in hundreds of pieces), while keeping the four sides of the tank intact. This has made disposal so much easier.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
What?

I don't get a prize? Would love to have one (or both) of the end pieces to use as tank dividers. Really.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I don't get a prize? Would love to have one (or both) of the end pieces to use as tank dividers. Really.

Good thing I procrastinated on taking them to the dump today. Both end pieces are yours. Let me know if you want the side pieces.

I will bring them to the September meet, unless you want them sooner.

-Andrew

dogofwar

CCA Members
Sam - I've got a broken 3' tank, if you'd like it... Your only price is to see "Matt's Subterranean World of a Thousand Chanchitos"...

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Well alrighty

Good thing I procrastinated on taking them to the dump today. Both end pieces are yours. Let me know if you want the side pieces.

I will bring them to the September meet, unless you want them sooner.

-Andrew

Just the ends please unless there's someone who needs glass tops for a 40 breeder - I have a glass cutter and would be happy to employ it on someone's behalf though said someone would need to furnish their own hinges, and precise measurements of desired length and width as well.

Thank you Andrew.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Please Brer Honey Bear

Sam - I've got a broken 3' tank, if you'd like it... Your only price is to see "Matt's Subterranean World of a Thousand Chanchitos"...

Matt

Youse cain skin me, slice me, boil me and eat me but puh-leeze doan trow me in dat subtraineen wold of de tousand feeshes.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Wow 15 posts on aquarium disposal. Now I'm bored. You have brought nerdom to a new height.

Look man.... I think that there is a misunderstanding here. The CCA is not one of the typical forums that you may frequent. We are a club. We know each other in real life. We are friends.

It is not intended to be somewhere were you can get your jollies by dropping in weekly and trolling. It is not appreciated.

This is the second thread where you've attempted to start trouble. If you're bored, then you are free to leave.

Sonny Disposition

If It's on the bottom, go to the hardware store, have them cut a couple of quarter inch thick panes of glass, and then patch the tank on the top and the bottom, usuing silicone sealant. I have a 33 long with a patched side panel. It works fine.

Sonny Disposition

How to patch a tank

[YT]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-rUewc64KsQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YT]

I have a 40b that has a massive crack that has spread along the bottom of the tank. I tried to remove the trim, thinking a razor blade could get between the panes and separate them. I was wrong. I would like to get it into the trash/recycle asap but I don't want to hit it with a hammer, in fear of glass shattering all over the room.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: