• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How do you decide what to do next?

AquaStudent

Members
I had a heater go back a few months ago which completely wiped out my 75G tank. I had a great colony going of Hypsophrys nicaraguensis and mynarae. I had already had a few spawns from the mynarae and the Nics were just getting to coloring up.

For the past few months I have only had a minimal stocking in there to keep the cycle going but have had trouble deciding on where to go next.

How do you decide what to do next?

I have bounced back and fourth with ideas over the past few months but haven't committed just yet.
  • Amphilophus or Mid-size New World Cichlid Wet Pet(s) (e.g. Cuban Pair)
    • Pros: Tons of personality, engaging fish, no worries about fish aggression (unless keeping a pair)
    • Cons: 75G isn't much space for a 12+" fish (I don't like being on the minimum)
  • Mbuna Tank
    • Pros: It's been awhile since I've kept African Cichlids. Tons of color. Breeding colony opportunities
    • Cons: Aggression, I usually do cooler water changes in winter which may not bode well with ACs
  • Male Peacock Tank
    • Pros: Same as above, tons of color
    • Cons: No breeding, moderate aggression (compared to Mbuna), cooler water changes
  • Small fish Community Tank
    • Pros: Lots of action, possibility for breeding colonies, lots of species
    • Cons: Less "interactive" fish

JLW

CCA Members
Oh man, you lost the Nics? :(

That's the only silver lining of a tank wipe -- you can do something new next. The decision is yours, and I'm not gonna try to influence you (unless you're serious about doing a stupid mbuna tank with stupid mbuna in it). Ultimately, you know which types of fish most appeal to you, what you like, and what you'll get the most joy out of -- and all the options could bring you some joy for the hobby (except the mbuna, which suck). So, just pick one and do it! The tank is laying fallow right now, and its not doing anything for you -- choose one!

Alternatively, I can hook you up with two more tanks, and you can choose three.

AquaStudent

Members
Yes. I had intended to get one of the temperature controllers for awhile now and unfortunately waited too long. Got one up on both tanks now though so a heater mishap is so much less likely to happen! I feel so awful about the Nics. They were really starting to show that amazing rainbow coloration.

I should just flip a coin...a 20 sided coin. Think I need to find someone who plays DnD then...

Decisions decisions.

Oh, and the three you're suggesting are Wet Pet, community, and Peacocks right? 😅 You know how to bring some joy to this forum!

JLW

CCA Members
How did I know someone on this forum would have a bookmark for a virtual dice. . . .