• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How do severums do with plants?

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hey everybody
I have two 4" super red severums and while they seem happy in my only unplanted tank, I think they'd look better under the stronger lights and amongst the plants. I have no super delicate plants. The most delicate would probably be some random rotala and my lilys and lotuses. Would the severums eat any of these? I have a pair of keyholes and a large angelfish in this tank with no issue but I'd hate to add the severums and end up with no plants. I also have some ottos which I'm hoping wouldnt end up as food. Any insight on whether or not this pairing would work would be very appreciated!
Thanks!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
My experience is that severums will tear up plants, both through eating and just digging in the substrate.

npbarca

Members
I just added some plants (my first live plants!) to a 75 with a 6" wild sev, he immediately ate the crypts and vals but the swords and anubias are left alone. I also throw in some lettuce every few days, its been 3 months now and the swords/anubias are doing fine