• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Holding Female Pindu

dogofwar

CCA Members
Looking good!

I use NLS Thera A and mix in Northfin, Xtreme, Kensfish and Yourfishstuff foods. The flakes lately have been YourFishStuff. People get into semi-religious battles over food. Just so it's decent quality, I'm not overfeeding and supplementing with live worms, everything seems to work. Color enhancement comes from adding asthaxanthin (sp) and spirulina, which one can add independently (although a lot of foods already have some).

The Pungu have extremely specialized diets in nature but mine are hogs in captivity. Some seem to put on weight and others are always skinny. The skinny ones have regular poop (not stringy white) so I think it's the way they are.

Xtreme makes a jumbo (monster) pellet that I've used to condition and fatten them up.

Matt

Gehandylan

CCA Members
1. Do your Pungu eat Pellets?

2. Have you had any luck breeding Pungu?

3. How long does a Pindu female hold?

Gehan

dogofwar

CCA Members
1. Yes - readily
2. No - I started with 5 Pungu a few years ago and am down to 2 (I think a male and female). I've seen her tube down several times but never a successful spawn. I don't think I keep them at high enough temps.
3. Pindu hold for 2 weeks or so (unless something spooks them and they spit). I strip the females at 9 days at 80F. I first saw that one of my female's is holding on Monday...so I'll strip per on Wed. It's probably a little less than 80F in their tank so the fry will still be wigglers with an eggs sac (which is OK). I strip them into a plastic basin, which I float in the tank.

1. Do your Pungu eat Pellets?

2. Have you had any luck breeding Pungu?

3. How long does a Pindu female hold?

Gehan

Gehandylan

CCA Members
Thank you for responding to my million questions. I've had the Pungu for about 6 weeks and yet to see any breeding action.

Gehan

Gehandylan

CCA Members
20161211_204606-1-1.jpg
False alarm - I really thought that this female Myaka juvie was holding. I was perlexed as they are still too young to spawn. She was just keeping a few pellets in her mouth . 2 Myaka males are colouring up real nice.

Gehandylan

CCA Members
I need to create space for some new fish. Would you recommend combining a group of 16 adult Pindus and 21 Myaka juviesina 72G tall aquarium?

What are the dimensions of your Pindu tank and how many fish do you have in there?

All the best for a fantastic 2017.

Gehan

dogofwar

CCA Members
I wouldn't combine the two, honestly.

My colony of pindu are in a 2'x2'x1' 30g. They've been in there for 6 years or so. I started with 8 and now have 5 in the colony (lost a couple to jumping and one to aggression).

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Just stripped a female pindu night before last.

I let her hold for 10 days this time and the fry were already fully free swimming (about 2 dozen of them).

I've got three batches growing out. Anyone interested in some as a Big Fish Deal donation?

Matt

Gehandylan

CCA Members
Awesome. From all spawns I've had to date, I hv managed only one 1 cm fry. The tumbling didn't work for me.

I hv 3 females holding for week now. Just going to let them hold until next Thursday .

What is this big fish donation?

dogofwar

CCA Members
The Big Fish Deal (formerly Aquamania) is CCA's annual weekend-long fish event. It's Mar 10-12 at the Hilton in Gaithersburg, MD (www.thebigfishdeal.com)

Part of The Big Fish Deal is a Saturday Nigh Rare Fish Auction - a 1-2 hour auction of (primarily) rare, CARES or otherwise cool and interesting fish...all donated by members, sponsors and other clubs... and we typically donate a nice cut of the proceeds to cichlid conservation and research.

Since time and the number of bags available are limited, wondering if it's worthwhile to include pindu this year. I think last year a bag that I donated went for only a few bucks (Dave is selling fry for $16 each).

Matt

Awesome. From all spawns I've had to date, I hv managed only one 1 cm fry. The tumbling didn't work for me.

I hv 3 females holding for week now. Just going to let them hold until next Thursday .

dogofwar

CCA Members
I don't tumble the eggs/wigglers (even when I strip too early). Just put them into a plastic basin floating in the tank.

Matt

Gehandylan

CCA Members
This time I am determined to stay the course. Tumbling is a bad habit I picked up with Cyps who don't hold too well. Pretty hard to shake off bad habits. Want to do a nice show tank with 40-50 Pindu. But they hv other plans.