• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Holding Female Pindu

dogofwar

CCA Members
I just stripped one of my female pindu last night. She spawned last Thurs, so it had been ~10 days.

Unfortunately (as they are prone to do), she spit as I was catching her but I retrieved about a dozen babies - still with yolk sacs but free swimming - from the tank. I'm raising them in a plastic bin until they are eating on their own (a few more days). I'll move them to their own grow out tank then.

Good luck with yours and would love to see a full tank shot!

Matt

Gehandylan

CCA Members
Congratulations on the Pindu fry. I will strip mine in another 3 days.

Hard to send a full tank shot as the Pindus are in a 220G with 35 adult Petro Red Bulus :).

Will keep you posted on how the Pindu stripping goes.

Wouldn't it be lovely to have a 6ft 125G with 50 adult Pindus?

Gehan

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think that the Pindu / Petro Red Bulu combo would have more visual appeal than just the pindus - but that's me!

Raise a couple of spawns of pindus and you'll have 50 :)

Matt

Congratulations on the Pindu fry. I will strip mine in another 3 days.

Hard to send a full tank shot as the Pindus are in a 220G with 35 adult Petro Red Bulus :).

Will keep you posted on how the Pindu stripping goes.

Wouldn't it be lovely to have a 6ft 125G with 50 adult Pindus?

Gehan

Gehandylan

CCA Members
Thanks.

Today is the 9th day that one female has been holding. She looks quite uncomfortable. Should I strip or wait another 1-2 days.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Go ahead...

Just be very careful - she'll spit in the blink of an eye. Good thing is the babies are big and do well, even with yolk sacs still attached...

Matt

Gehandylan

CCA Members
Catching the holding female in 229G with 35 Petros is not an easy task. What's the minimum tank size I need for 16 adult Pindus? I might have to move them to their own tank where catching them would be easier.

Would a 4ft 65G be adequate?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - the 65g would be good. I keep my group in a 2'x2'x1' 30g...

As an aside, I scape it very simply so that I can remove everything easily before catching holding females.

Matt

Catching the holding female in 229G with 35 Petros is not an easy task. What's the minimum tank size I need for 16 adult Pindus? I might have to move them to their own tank where catching them would be easier.

Would a 4ft 65G be adequate?

Gehandylan

CCA Members
I have one 1 cm free swimming Pindu fry. I don't get this excited with 25 Petrochromis fry .

The Myaka juvies are growing out quite well. Very interesting behaviour. I am already noticing 2 dominated males staking territories.

The 6 Pungu are doing good.

Do you ever treat your fish for parasites?

What do you feed your Pindu and any recommendations on what I should feed my Pungu. The Pungu seem to only like flakes and usually eat off the surface.

Cheers - Gehan

dogofwar

CCA Members
Congrats on the baby pindu! I've got a female with a mouthful of fry that I'm going to strip on probably Wed.

Keep us posted on the growth of the Myaka and Pungu :)

Internal parasites? I use medicated flake food. I use the medicated food from Kensfish.com. Even wild fish have readily accepted it (I think because it has a lot of garlic).

I feed my Barombi-Mbo quality pellets and flakes. The Pungu and Pindu will absolutely eat live worms (I feed composting / red wiggler worms once or twice a week).

Matt

I have one 1 cm free swimming Pindu fry. I don't get this excited with 25 Petrochromis fry .

The Myaka juvies are growing out quite well. Very interesting behaviour. I am already noticing 2 dominated males staking territories.

The 6 Pungu are doing good.

Do you ever treat your fish for parasites?

What do you feed your Pindu and any recommendations on what I should feed my Pungu. The Pungu seem to only like flakes and usually eat off the surface.

Cheers - Gehan