• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hi Guys!

Bonnie

Hello all,

Kind of found you looking for Duplicareas Cory's. I'm from Brooklyn NY and belong to the Brooklyn Aquarium Society.
Wish we had a Cichlid club closer! I had 8 tanks going a few years back but had to downsize. I have one 40b and a few 20L's waiting to go. I have Angels and Emperor tetras now. My clean up crew are Julii cory's, Oto's and a few nerite snails. My 20Longs are for apisto's, one will me Inka 50's and maybe Panduro's for the other. Nice to find this group!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Glad to have you! We have a few people from BAS who visit on occasion, and will often come down to our annual event in February/March.

Message CSnyder00 CSnyder00 regarding Cory Duplicareus, I know he has an active breeding group at the moment.

Your current tanks sound cool, would be great to see some pictures if/when you have a chance.

Bonnie

Glad to have you! We have a few people from BAS who visit on occasion, and will often come down to our annual event in February/March.

Message CSnyder00 CSnyder00 regarding Cory Duplicareus, I know he has an active breeding group at the moment.

Your current tanks sound cool, would be great to see some pictures if/when you have a chance.

You're kidding BAS members go down! I read somewhere online about your big event and it sounds great!
That's how I found this club, reading the thread on the D. Cory's. I thought it was too old and then I saw it continue to quite recent. I'm trying to clear up green hair algae in that tank now. Got a new light and everything went crazy! I will ask him about those. They are quite expensive up here.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
You're kidding BAS members go down! I read somewhere online about your big event and it sounds great!
That's how I found this club, reading the thread on the D. Cory's. I thought it was too old and then I saw it continue to quite recent. I'm trying to clear up green hair algae in that tank now. Got a new light and everything went crazy! I will ask him about those. They are quite expensive up here.
We have some great speakers regularly lined up, and our annual event has a big draw! Last year we had people from at least 9 different states, including Vermont and Colorado, plus someone from Barbados. Sometimes its worth travelling to see stuff you're interested in, plus we meet close to DC, so a lot of times people will use it as a reason to take an extended weekend and do a tourist weekend in DC.

Green hair algae is another thing I'm sure you can find info on here about, a very common problem, but feel free to start another thread with specific questions.

zendog

Welcome Bonnie!

My favorite fix for green hair algae (and other green algae as well) is the native American Flag Fish. They cleared a tank for me where all the plants where tangled up in the stuff, slurping it up like green spaghetti! They are usually available reasonably through Aquabid and spawn fairly readily if you want to breed them. They haven't harmed any of the plants I've had them with, but I keep mostly fairly hardy plants so I can't really say for sure they are are safe with all plants. They can be a little grumpy, but I currently have them with a group of Sewellia and everyone seems okay.

What I particularly like is that I can keep my light regimen going to keep my plants strong, while they take care of the problem.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
B Bonnie ,

I have a group of Duplicareus breeders that make me some fry every so often. I’m about 100-150 fish behind at the moment, but I don’t plan on getting rid of them, so I’ll keep you in mind.

I DO, however, also have Apistogramma Baenschi (aka Inka 50) juveniles that are ready to go. Send me a PM if you are interested. The best way might be to pick them up during the Big Fish Deal in February if you decide to come. Otherwise, I’d prefer to wait for some warmer weather, as I’ve had fish get stuck in shipping and lose them due to colder temps. I can try heat packs, but that will drive your shipping costs up.