• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hi. Getting back into fish after long hiatus.

Jim P

CCA Members
I actually usually spend more money on plants and rocks than fish, so maybe I should say i'm getting back into aquascaping. Was happy to lern here about the aquascaping folks at GWAPA and their Jan 28 meeting.

QUESTION: i got a bunch of 1-2.5 inch Green Severum (like that they're so graceful) before I realized they have a reputation for tearing up planted plants (and I'm not content to use potted plants). Anybody know how big they need to be to start unrooting. They're not showing signs of de-aquascaping yet.

Jim P

PS If anyone is selling a bunchj of plants and/or rocks or driftwood, I'm interested in buying a bunch.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Welcome to the forum!

As for your question on the severums, I'd guess they start really moving things around when they get to 4-5 inches. You may have some time, but ultimately, I think you are correct in that they aren't the best choice for a planted tank.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Welcome. You definitely should come to the next meeting, because Jen Williams will be speaking on aquascaping!

Termato

Board of Directors
I'm clearing out my fishroom. I have a LOT of rocks and plants. The driftwood is large but I have some small pieces. Send me a message.

Jim P

CCA Members
Hi Jim. Welcome to CCA. Will you be coming to our next meeting?

Thanks. Would like to come to next meeting on aquascaping, but can't find info on it. The next meeting section seems to post just to the last Nov meeting..
Thanks again
Jim

FishEggs

Thanks. Would like to come to next meeting on aquascaping, but can't find info on it. The next meeting section seems to post just to the last Nov meeting..
Thanks again
Jim
Next meeting is Saturday January 14 at JFK high in silver spring md. Doors open at 1:00 and meeting starts at 2:00.

Aqua410

Members
I have 8 severums and even my attempt to keep potted plants with them bombed. It's not just that they uprooted them but regularly enjoyed taking bites. Severum are omnivorous but really love plant matter so I don't think they're viable in a planted tank at all at least in my experience. I have one severum heros sp. inridia which is the most prolific digger of all of my fish. The rotkiels and efaciatus tend not to dig at all in my tank. If you love severums as much as I do perhaps consider just doing a really nice hard scape with lots of rocks at wood. Perhaps some mosses on the wood might not make a snack for them but I haven't tried it. Slow growing epiphytes like anubias probably wouldn't stand a chance.