• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hi all

Lady Peacock

I have just registered here & I hope you guys can help me. I am in & from the UK. I bought a couple of new Malawi cichlids at the weekend. Trying to find out if I have sulphur heads or ahlis, or one of each. I think the smaller one is an ahli, but am not sure about the larger one.

IMG_20200303_134546.jpg

IMG_20200303_135059.jpg

IMG_20200303_134616.jpg

IMG_20200303_135049.jpg

Lady Peacock

Yeah, that one is. He is an existing fish who I chose for his attitude & he kept crashing the photos! I think he actually chased off the one I was actually after!!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
The peacocks have a shorter and taller body than the ahli, so if they have the typical long, slender body, they're more likely to be ahli. There are tons of hybrids out there though, so its very difficult to assume purity unless you know the source.

Lady Peacock

The peacocks have a shorter and taller body than the ahli, so if they have the typical long, slender body, they're more likely to be ahli. There are tons of hybrids out there though, so its very difficult to assume purity unless you know the source.
I wondered if I may have had a hybrid or 2. The smaller one is most similar to my existing ahli except that the blue stripe on the top of his head is slightly orange/yellow in the middle. The larger is a darker/duller blue - definitely not electric blue- and his stripe is broken as it goes up his head & when you can see it again it's certainly yellow. He is also fuller in the body.