• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help sump blid

Kareen

Members
I need to know if a 30gl sump will be big enough for my 125gl plant tank w/two overflows my pump puts out 951 GPH the pump will have two returns for each end of the tank. Thanks for any info you can give me.

JLW

CCA Members
Hey Kareen,

The size of your sump is determined by three things. First, if it will physically fit, which can be a big consideration. I've had stands that are just too narrow to fit anything inside of them. Second, it needs to be of large enough capacity and height that the pump (and any other equipment) remains properly submerged at all times, and you're not constantly topping it off. Third, it needs to have sufficient empty volume that when the pumps are off, and the pipes and plumbing drain into the tank, it doesn't overflow (e.g., during a power outage).

Those set up the minimums for your sump size. Obviously, you can plumb a 5,000 gallon swimming pool into your 2.5-G and use it as a sump -- there's no maximum. :) I've seen tanks where the sump has exceeded the display!

Your plumbing and such will determine the third criteria. The less pipe you use, the better your air breaks, etc., the better you'll be. On my installs, the water increases less than an inch. You can mitigate top off with an automatic top off device, but that's not critical, especially in a freshwater tank where you're not apt to be running a lot of level sensitive equipment.

Lastly, if you're using bioballs or some other sort of "wet/dry" media, you do need to have enough room that they're properly wetted and not fully submerged.

I think the 30-G is appropriate for this.

Hawkman2000

Members
I would user something a little taller. Especially if your going wet/dry. If your tank has 2 overflows, I would use 2 29s.

JLW

CCA Members
That only works if the two 29s are interconnected. Using two sumps separately is a recipe for eventual disaster. If one of the overflows is faster than the other, it will eventually flood.

You would have to have drill both 29s and connect them using bulkheads.

Hawkman2000

Members
I have seen a few tanks with more than one sump, and the weren't connected. But I do see your point. An overflow pipe connecting the two tanks. Actually seems Like a good Idea. If your cant fit a 40b underneath, do 2 29s and the overflow conector. Would work with the rubbermaid sumps as well.

Kareen

Members
I have two 15gl wet/dry on each overflow and a pipe connecting together with the pump in the middle it's a pain to get to my pump this is way I going with one sump