• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Heater recomendations?

I just bought a Fluval titanium 300w heater, and I have to say, it should be called a "warmer" instead of a heater.

I have an Aqueon Pro 250w that seems to do a good job, but I need quite a few more heaters.

I'm putting in large tanks, and was hoping to find something reasonable, and in the 500w range.

Sped89

Members
I had the same problem during winter months since I keep my house cold, around 63 degrees. It works for me but my tanks don't like it too much. I found that Finnex titanium work rather well (they have one 500 watt model). I have tried all different brands only to replace them since they didn't fit my needs.

FishEggs

I use a finnex titanium 800watt on my 220 gal. And a 300 watt on my 75gal with inkbird controllers. I find it a much more reliable set up after going through multiple aqueon pro's and other similar type.
Keep my house at 68f during the day and it drops to 63f over night. Heaters have no problem keeping up the tank temps. I actually have the 220 up to 86 to treat for ich right now with a room temp of 68.

stany

CCA Members
Ink Birds are good and you might want to keep a spare heater in stock. I keep two heaters in each tank so they are not pushed and keep a spare heater I use for water changes with Homer Buckets from Home depot. I use mercury thermometers but when I put three of them in the same tank got 3 different readings with a 5 degree difference high to low. I've learned to adjust the heaters to a digital temperature check reader results and know where each mercury readout should be. I use Aqueon heaters and have not had a failure but keep a spare just in case.

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
I just bought a Fluval titanium 300w heater, and I have to say, it should be called a "warmer" instead of a heater.

I have an Aqueon Pro 250w that seems to do a good job, but I need quite a few more heaters.

I'm putting in large tanks, and was hoping to find something reasonable, and in the 500w range.
Ehiem heaters are all I use in my 150s

Becca

Members
Finnex 800w titanium coupled with InkBird controllers. BulkReefSupply.com sells both at reasonable prices.

neut

Members
Fair or not, I'm leery of Aqueon heaters, simply because some years ago one of their models had problems.

About 8 years ago I replaced all my heaters with Fluval M heaters, based partly on a lfs owner I knew who had them in 100 tanks without any issues. I've had zero issues with them and their settings have been accurate. I expect I could get 10 years out of them but I'll probably replace them this year and this cycle of replacement I'll get them again, hoping they're still reliable. I've always been a simpleton with heaters, if what I've got works I keep using them until that model stops being reliable. I've seen my share of heater threads and the bottom line is people have different favorites and more $ doesn't necessarily = better.

Some differences in experience with a heater might be in how it's worked. Wattage recommendations are related to differential between target tank temperature and room temperature. Only logical, but not everyone considers it-- room temp 70 degrees, tank temp 75 degrees works the same heater less than room temp 65 degrees, tank temp 85 degrees. That said, mine aren't worked hard and I don't overkill on wattage. (And mine are off during water changes.)

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've got one Fluval M and it's worked fine. Having said that, I assume it will fail at some point. I think I've had problems at one point or another with nearly every brand. I agree that the controllers lower your risk.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I only heat discus tanks and sick tanks, most other fish are fine at room temperature. I have a cichlid/tropical tank that gets down to 66 sometimes and its a perfectly healthy tank.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I love the Fluval M line they seem to last me a good while. I also us the Aqueon glass heaters, not the plastic ones) with a lot of success. I've had the plastic Aqueon models fail, so they're not allowed in the house.

Just like Matt, I'm expecting all of my heaters to fail. I combat that by replacing them every two years regardless of how they are functioning. I use a plastic bread bag tab. I write the date I started using the heater on the tab and attach it to the cord. I'll always see the date when I do water changes and know when to replace it.