• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Heat for Quarantine?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Is there any advantage to heating a quarantine tank above levels generally needed for fish?

For instance if fish do fine at 72, is there any advantage to keeping the tank at 80 if its something they tolerate?

I wasn't sure if heat plays a factor in all disease prevention or treatment, or if its only recommended for some. I think I heard it can speed up the life cycle of certain parasites, but wasn't sure how it affected viral or bacterial infections.

Anything else people recommend for maintaining a quarantine tank?

FishEggs

I can't remember the name but we had a speaker that talked about plecos and I believe he would put wild caught in temps around 90f to kill any parasites.
I think I saw a study somewhere that they observed sick fish seeking out warmer waters and hanging out closer to the heater. I will try to find the study when I get home.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
It speeds up the life cycle of most parasites, helping the fish to shed the unwanted guests. I don’t know that I would go much over 80-85, as some fish just don’t handle heat well.

JLW

CCA Members
At above 88° or so, ich cannot successfully reproduce. Keeping your fish extra warm will kill off a lot of parasites faster.

Jaydog0713

CCA Members
i usually keep my quarantine tanks around 76 slowly bring it up to 80-81 for 4-6 days then back down to rest at 78. any sign of infection i treat accordingly. I do keep them all Quarantined for at least a month and 50% water changes every 2 days.