• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Harvesting micro worms

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Hey so instead of the regular toothpick or paintbrush methods

anyone try laying a damp coffee filter on top of the culture and leaving it there then using a spoon to scrape off the micro worms from the filter without getting any of the cornmeal, baby food, oatmeal or whatever grow media used.

It makes harvesting quick if you have a lot if fry

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1396444359.437382.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
See, I really like the paintbrush method, and here's why:

down in the soup of the culture, especially as it ages, you've got your substrate (oatmeal or whatever), lots of yeast, worms....and bacteria and fungi. The yeast suppresses the other microbes to some extent, but I can tell from the smell as it ages that there's some super funky stuff growing in there....often reminds me of the way a a B. cereus culture smells.

So, I still prefer to let my worms climb the walls of the container to get up and out of the muck to minimize the bacterial/fungal funk that I might bring over. Yes....I'm still transferring some over, but not as much as if I took them right off the surface.

And, yes....I sometimes do see funk (mostly fungi) growing on the sides of the container. That's when I throw them out.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Just sharing my method lets see some more I like the mesh idea

As for the paintbrush I'm not in favor or or against it.

But when I do the culture and lay the filter on top my culture is really really shallow and preferably in a wide container.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

When the culture is in 'full bloom', I just run my finger along the inside edge of the culture. Just like the Colonel said....finger lickin' good.