• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Harvesting Alder Cones Question

mchambers

Former CCA member
I’m in an undisclosed location where there are tons of alders. There are a lot of green cones and not so many brown dried cones. The dried ones are mostly on dead branches.

I know that you are not supposed to put green cones in aquariums because they have too much resin. But can you harvest the green cones and dry them? I think the answer is yes, but was hoping someone here has tried it.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
You should harvest them as long as you have the opportunity. I suspect you are right and drying them is all you need to do unless they are obviously not mature cones.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I found a lot of aldercones in the scrub trees near some of the beaches on the east coast of MD and VA. Have not collected any in the last few years however.

mchambers

Former CCA member
You should harvest them as long as you have the opportunity. I suspect you are right and drying them is all you need to do unless they are obviously not mature cones.
Thanks, Frank. I now remember finding some alder cones in August in Vermont, where a road crew had been trimming the brush. They were almost certainly green when cut.

I’ll fill a ziplock bag full of green ones and put them out to dry when we get home.

mchambers

Former CCA member
You’d be surprised how widespread alders are. I’ve found cones in the last five years in Oregon, New York, Vermont, Michigan, and Scotland. If you’re in a rural area with damp soil, there’s a good chance you can find alders.

Becca

Members
You’d be surprised how widespread alders are. I’ve found cones in the last five years in Oregon, New York, Vermont, Michigan, and Scotland. If you’re in a rural area with damp soil, there’s a good chance you can find alders.

I've never seen any in MD, DE, or Southeastern PA, but I'm also not the best at identifying trees. I think they prefer a cooler climate, though. Guess I'll have to encourage one of my siblings to move further north.

captmicha

Members
I'd think that maturing on the trees would allow some of the resin to be washed away via rain.

But if you don't have that opportunity, would probably let it have a few soakings before using. Otherwise dried green ones will just have the same amount of resin as they did green.

mchambers

Former CCA member
It's possible you're right. Although, as I said in my reply to Frank up thread, I gathered some in Vermont a few years ago that were on branches next to the road side where a road crew had cut the branches off the trees a few weeks before. Those work fine. I don't think there's any real difference between getting cones off cut branches or pulling them off the branches yourself.

I think the drying process gets rid of the resin, rather than rain. But we will find out. The green cones have been drying in mesh bags for about three weeks, so I think they're about ready to test. Having said that, I also brought back a lot of brown alder cones, so I think I have enough for a year's worth of use.

captmicha

Members
It's possible you're right. Although, as I said in my reply to Frank up thread, I gathered some in Vermont a few years ago that were on branches next to the road side where a road crew had cut the branches off the trees a few weeks before. Those work fine. I don't think there's any real difference between getting cones off cut branches or pulling them off the branches yourself.

I think the drying process gets rid of the resin, rather than rain. But we will find out. The green cones have been drying in mesh bags for about three weeks, so I think they're about ready to test. Having said that, I also brought back a lot of brown alder cones, so I think I have enough for a year's worth of use.
What's the benefit of alder cones over other botanicals?