• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Guttulata or Hartwegi

I have this Vieja for 5 years, still don't know what species it is. For a long time, I thought it was a fenestratus, but now I am not sure. I am narrowing it down to either guttulata or Hartwegi because of his incomplete vetical stripes in juvenile markings.

Vieja experts, please tell me what it is. I am attaching both his juvenile and current pics to help ID him.

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I am terrible at telling the difference between the veija/paratheraps (or whatever they are classified as nowadays). Your fish looks great, but doesn't scream any of the species right off the bat for me. Where did you get him from?

D-money

Members
Because of the red undertone, I going Hartwegi but could easily be a mix depending on the source. Nice fish either way.

I see fenestratus color and melanurus shape. Hard to tell...

Matt
The body shape changed with age. All three pics are the same fish at different age. When I bought it as a juvie at 4 inch, it's more elongated (2nd and 3rd pic). Now it is tall and massive at 14 inch (1st pic). Note the eyes have not grown as much as the body, so the eyes are proportionally tiny in the matured fish. For a long time I thought it was a fenestratus because of the color pattern, but it never showed full vertical stripes as in fenestatus. It's color also resembles a melanurus, but melanurus has no red dots. The dots resemble a Zonata, but Zonata has no red in the head. So I narrow it down to guttulata or hartwegi, as both supposed to share similar color pattern and partial vertical stripes.

It's a gentle giant and shy fish so it resembles the behavior of a melanurus. At feeding time, he stays cautiously at the corner and only come out to feed when other fish have started.