• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Great January Meeting!

mchambers

Former CCA member
That was a great meeting! Thanks to Jen Williams for a terrific presentation and thanks to CCA for some terrific raffles. Jen has a very good way of explaining aquascaping! Her demo was pretty awesome, too!

Good to see so many people turn out in some pretty poor weather, too.

FishEggs

It was indeed a great meeting.
The raffles on the other hand were not so great. I didn't win any of them.:p Guess i have to buy some aquascaping tools now.:)
Thanks for a great presentation Jen!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Really was a great team effort today - thanks to all!

Something that I enjoyed was the live demo. It gave some time in the meeting to watch for a bit, to socialize and see friends, watch a little more, grab a drink, say hi to friends, etc.

Some really, really nice fish, plants and shrimp in the auction today as well! Thanks to the folks bringing (and even donating) quality stuff!

We've got some great stuff on tap for February!

Thanks to everyone for turning out and thanks Matt C. for the Guianacara :)

Matt

It was really good to see everyone today! Thanks to everyone who helped out today!

killiedave57

CCA Members
KUDOS TO CCA......

Fabulous meeting, wonderful presentation... really glad the weather held and I was able to spend some time with friends and listen to Jen Williams share some of her award winning ways... Now we all have to start an aquascape and share our pics on the forum....
Haven't been able to make a cca meeting for some time, so this was a delight.

Btwcp

CCA Members
I had a blast also! Thanks to all for what they do. Great auction! Great speaker! Thanks again

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks for making the trip Dave (and carpooling with Lane)!

Let's get some entries in The Aquarium Beautiful Competition at
http://www.thebigfishdeal.com/#/events/aquariumbeautiful

Entry is free with registration and there are going to be some great prizes :)

Matt

KUDOS TO CCA......

Fabulous meeting, wonderful presentation... really glad the weather held and I was able to spend some time with friends and listen to Jen Williams share some of her award winning ways... Now we all have to start an aquascape and share our pics on the forum....
Haven't been able to make a cca meeting for some time, so this was a delight.

FishEggs

When i got home i went to work using what i learned from Jen's presentation. I worked all night long and got this in the end. What do y'all think?

0584a27239ff135e86a233f64079fe87.jpg

I'm going to kinkos later to have them enlarge it and print it out on vinyl sheet so i can stick it to the front of my tank. :D

finzz

Members
Great meeting! Though I'll never be able to do aquascaping like Jen does, it was great to see how it's done and the science behind it. She put on a very interesting program. Outstanding time and worth the drive! Thanks to all involved.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks Don for coming and bringing some amazing fish for the auction!

We're going to have to get you to do a talk (or even mini-talk), if you'd like :)

Matt

Great meeting! Though I'll never be able to do aquascaping like Jen does, it was great to see how it's done and the science behind it. She put on a very interesting program. Outstanding time and worth the drive! Thanks to all involved.

Carolineep

CCA Members
I really enjoyed hearing Jen speak and I learned so much
Thank you Jen!

I look forward to next meeting. Are they always so huge?

dogofwar

CCA Members
For February we've got a great speaker with a wide appeal...and some really fun offers to be announced...so I expect the Feb meeting could be even more people!

We probably had a dozen or more folks who planned to come this month (from up north) who couldn't make it because of weather concerns...

For March, we're hoping to break records with The Big Fish Deal... and we were over 400 last year!

There are so many aquarists in the area who would love to come to a CCA meeting but for whatever reason are intimidated or otherwise can't seem to get here. Maybe we should do some kind of a raffle for folks who bring a friend to the meeting? :)

Matt

I really enjoyed hearing Jen speak and I learned so much
Thank you Jen!

I look forward to next meeting. Are they always so huge?

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Has the club ever put ads in Wash. Post and other local newspapers? Perhaps TV coverage of BFD?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes first one we had announcement (not ads) in the WaPo and a nice article in the (now defunct MoCo newspaper) "The Gazette"...

Matt

Has the club ever put ads in Wash. Post and other local newspapers? Perhaps TV coverage of BFD?

Becca

Members

I'm going to echo Matt's post and thank you for bringing great fish to the auction.

Also, I would love to know your experiences with D. maculatus, given that I've only managed to pull and raise fry once before mommy dearest up and ate them!

Thanks, also for the generously packed bags of fish. For instance, I'm pretty sure both of the bags I won said 5 fish, but there were 6 in both - nice surprise!

finzz

Members
I'm pretty sure both of the bags I won said 5 fish, but there were 6 in both - nice surprise!

Yeah; I was never real good with math. :) thanks for the kind words!

I don't want to derail this thread, but I'm sure I still have hard copies of my breeder's report and article I did when I first had success with these fish (1998, maybe 1999?). If I can post the info somewhere, I will ( if I can find it! ). I've never thought these fish were as difficult as folks made them out to be.

Becca

Members
Yeah; I was never real good with math. :) thanks for the kind words!

I don't want to derail this thread, but I'm sure I still have hard copies of my breeder's report and article I did when I first had success with these fish (1998, maybe 1999?). If I can post the info somewhere, I will ( if I can find it! ). I've never thought these fish were as difficult as folks made them out to be.

I never had issues getting them to spawn, but have had issues with getting eggs to hatch, finding actual females, getting artificially hatched eggs past the wiggler stage, and pulling free swimming fry before they become food.