• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Great deals at the auction today

Aqua410

Members
Had a good time at the meeting and got some great fish and plants in the auction. Some of the deals were really unbelievable.

I picked up a group of panamensis that were a club donation from the speaker. He had some other fish in the auction that I would have loved to pick up if I had the tank space.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Panamensis are great fish. They'll start breeding at about 2.5" for males and slightly smaller for females. Some really cool and generous donations from our speaker (and some other folks)!

Some good deals all around. For club auctions, it's a balancing act: folks will stop bringing good stuff if it goes for next to nothing...but it's always fun to get good deals!

Matt

Aqua410

Members
I think for future auctions it's always helpful if the auction items get posted far enough out so people can get tanks set up. I had to run out and grab another grow out tank which was NBD but for new folks with lower tank counts it might help get the bids up. People probably get scared to bid if they aren't comfortable with setting up a tank on a hurry. I can't wait til the next auction though, will have an empty tank ready.

Termato

Board of Directors
I had four empty tanks and filled three of them. It was a great auction. I got some nice pygmy cories from it. Excited to see if they start breeding.

Yea, I didn't post my items until the day of. Probably would help to plan more ahead of time.

Aqua410

Members
Some other fish that I really wanted but didn't have tanks or equipment for were the cryptogheros septemfasciatus who ended up getting those?

Aqua410

Members
Those Cryptos were gorgeous. Were those Christine's fish? I don't know who got them either.

I made a quick little video about all the new fish I got at the meeting. Things are going to get crazy when these little central americans get big: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G09g9vwi3OY

Hats off to you for picking those up buddy. I may be able to take a carpintis or two off your hands when they grow out if you choose the move some out.

Termato

Board of Directors
Hats off to you for picking those up buddy. I may be able to take a carpintis or two off your hands when they grow out if you choose the move some out.

Yea, if I can get them to a decent size without them killing each other or other fish then I'll definitely be looking to get a few off my hands.

It'll be an interesting time with these guys hahaha. Jon gave a lot of great tips at the meeting though so if I can put those to good use...lol

dogofwar

CCA Members
The C. septemfasciatus only get about 4" max and are a lot less aggressive than maculicauda or carpintis. You can sex them at quite a small size: females have a spot on the dorsal and males don't. Females also get a lot more color on the body.

Great fish that are quite rare!

Matt

Aqua410

Members
The C. septemfasciatus only get about 4" max and are a lot less aggressive than maculicauda or carpintis. You can sex them at quite a small size: females have a spot on the dorsal and males don't. Females also get a lot more color on the body.

Great fish that are quite rare!

Matt

Did you end up getting those Matt?

chriscoli

Administrator
HA! these are offspring of some that Matt's been spreading around the club!

I also sent the speaker home with some so that we can share them with another club, too.

Aqua410

Members
Ah ok. Id be interested in growing some out at some point too. I want to do at least one more species of cryptoheros when I get an empty tank.

Those Cryptos were gorgeous. Were those Christine's fish? I don't know who got them either.

I made a quick little video about all the new fish I got at the meeting. Things are going to get crazy when these little central americans get big: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G09g9vwi3OY

Hi Termato,

I enjoyed your video. I also think I'm the guy who got your breeding pair of angels at the CCA auction.

They are beautiful!

I was wondering though if you could offer some tips regarding getting them to spawn. Recommended temperature? basically nothing in the tank but a terracotta pot?

Thanks!

Termato

Board of Directors
Hi Termato,

I enjoyed your video. I also think I'm the guy who got your breeding pair of angels at the CCA auction.

They are beautiful!

I was wondering though if you could offer some tips regarding getting them to spawn. Recommended temperature? basically nothing in the tank but a terracotta pot?

Thanks!

Hey Ben! Thanks, I've been trying to make the videos more entertaining hahah. Glad they went to a good home :)

I was keeping them in a 20G High at 82F and I did water changes 3x a week around 35%. It was a barebottom tank and they would lay down eggs 2x a month at the very least. I also just had a terracotta pot but these guys kept laying eggs on the heater for some reason. I was keeping them around 78-79F but I found that they'd spawn more regularly with the hotter water. I have no idea why. It's the same thing with my koi angels, too.

Whenever I did water changes, I'd always put in slightly colder water around 76-78 to top the tank off. It usually brought the temp down to 79-80F. Not too long after I do water changes, they'd usually spawn if they were ready. Good luck!