• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Got A Good Lfs To Recommend?

marge618

CCA member
I made a special trip to Scales Tropical Fish Warehouse in Silver Spring MD last week to get more info on how to keep my new JD pair. What a fantastic place. Sparkling clean, lots of healthy happy fish, nice variety of supplies, and some pretty nice tanks for sale!
(Kids special this weekend was buy 2 cichlids get one free!)

What I liked best were the people who work there. They were more than glad to answer my questions, help me find the NLS food that I needed, and spend time showing me JD and other cichlids. (Another plus, no hard sell. They never tried to tell me what to buy.)

I went home wishing Scales was closer to Baltimore!

Chime in and tell me about 'your LFS'... the one you really LIKE to go to.

Later,
Marge

kaj41354

Members
Marge,

I agree with you about Scales. Everyyear in July we have a whole group of folks from the ACLC that go on a Shop Hop through Maryland and Scales is always our first stop.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurt @ Apr 6 2008, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Marge,

I agree with you about Scales. Every year in July we have a whole group of folks from the ACLC that go on a Shop Hop through Maryland and Scales is always our first stop.[/b]

Yep, Scales is very nice.

Umm, I do know of a small LFS that recently opened downtown Baltimore. The owner once worked for Aquarium Depot and is an expert on African Cichlids. He is my Dr. Gregory House, when ever I have a question about an illness, he knows all the answers. His name is Donald and the stores phone number is 410.732.6015. I forget the name of the store, but I am sure if you call that number they will give you directions and the address.

Exotic Aquatics is also very nice.
House of Tropicals is alright...,but Scales is way better.
Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring is a historical place and has been around for ages. The owner Steve is Awesome! He treats me like Gold, even though the store is small, but it works.
Aquarium Depot is run down and over priced, but they do have some good deals.

Good Luck!

Submariner;)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Scales is a great store - clean, good selection, helpful, knowledgeable service, good prices...and a discount for CCA members.

It's kind of out of the way for me as well (in Gaithersburg), but it's worth the trip.

Remember: Support good LFS or you won't have them anymore! And Scales is a good one.

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Apr 7 2008, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Scales is a great store - clean, good selection, helpful, knowledgeable service, good prices...and a discount for CCA members.

It's kind of out of the way for me as well (in Gaithersburg), but it's worth the trip.

Remember: Support good LFS or you won't have them anymore! And Scales is a good one.[/b]

I know what you mean by 'out there'. Scales in Silver Spring is a looooong way from Baltimore, but it was worth the trip just to see what a LFS can be. Scales is a good one.

Remember, two years ago, when Scales first opened. Soon thereafter CCA made a field-trip out there to see what it was going to be like.

Pat: Maybe we should make another club field trip to Scales to see how it has changed. They just had their 2nd Anniversary. (Take pictures for the Biotope, interview Andrew???)

Later,
Marge

Andrew

Members
Thank you for the kind words here... It's nice to see that people recognize the effort that goes into owning a store like this. Please visit ALL of the independent local fish stores that make an effort to provide interesting, reasonably priced and healthy livestock and support them with purchases of live and dry goods.

We're only minutes from the CCA meeting site. If you're coming down for the meeting, you're practically here anyway and we welcome folks to come by before or after the meetings.

From the CCA meeting site: Mapquest Directions