• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Glass Tops

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
A couple of years ago, I put glass tops on most of the tanks in the fish room.

Now all of the hinges are coming apart. I tried new hinges but have a heck of a time
getting them on with out breaking the glass. I have started to replace the tops again with new
ones. Looks better anyway and at $11.00 each, I am not sure its worth the hassle of replacing the hinge.

Any helpful hints on how to get the new hinges on the 24 inch piece of glass with out breaking it or cutting
my hand off? I don't like them just laying on top. I have knocked too many in the tank and its harder to feed the fish when the lids are loose. At least for me..
:smashfreakB:

mscichlid

Founder
How about wetting the hinge and the glass and start at one end on one. Then lay it down and force the other glass in the hinge. Is this glass that has not been sanded smooth? Yikes! :smashfreakB:

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
You might want to look into LEXAN at Home Depot. It is not cheap but you can cut it with a saw and it is really nice stuff. Do not mix this up with acrylic which is in the same place and cheaper. Acrylic is garbage for tops.